Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,,,its been awhile. I have a 2007 in my garage that the key will not turn in the ignition, Tried to jostle the vehicle. put key in and hit it a little. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Does the key appear damaged or very worn down? Do you have a second key you could try? Do you have GM keys or some crappy aftermarket key? Do you have 1 pound of stuff on your keyring? If a second key doesn't work, you're probably going to need a new lock cylinder. Which I would highly suggest going to the dealer for because the new lock cylinder will have to be coded to match your keys. Oh, and the lock cylinder kit is around $80 + install. One thing to try and get it to work now would be to jiggle the key around and turn it back and forth at the same time and it should eventually turn. I had to use a junk key to make my 9-7x key and it'll do that on one side because it wasn't traced properly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keys are not worn...have both keys that will not turn. And no i keep minimal keys on keyring. its a friends car do you know if he has to be present to get a new lock cylinder?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try turning the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key. You don't have another GM vehicle? It happens. Put the key in rotated 180 degrees. Try changing how deep you push in the key.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Is the shift lever fully in park. Then is the steering wheel locked hard. Move the steering wheel hard while trying to turn the key. You could also try to lift the front wheels off the ground to take off some pressure.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Ignition switch shouldn't cause this. Did this all of the sudden start happening? Usually with a lock cylinder it starts not working occasionally and jiggling the key will make it turn. How many miles are on the truck? It's an 07 and if it's still under warranty, a tow to the dealer would be free. You can get the truck fixed without your friend there. You won't be able to replace the lock cylinder yourself. You absolutly have to know what you're doing to code a lock cylinder and you will also have to get the key code to do it, which they will NOT give anyone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah he stopped at gas station and got out. Then got back in 5 mins later and the key will not turn. I unhooked linkage under truck and played with shifter cable, we towed truck in neutral to my house. Right now i have the column tore apart. Removed ignition switch (not cylinder) and when it starts it just dies. Thinking it lost key programming. Tried both keys will not turn. even with switch removed. I just took it in and out of gear by turning on ignition swith and slamming it into park. Any ideas?

UPDATE!!!!!
Sprayed some PB Blaster into lock. and stuck key in, and then tapped on lock and WOO HOO it turned!!!! Now its working

1 - 12 of 12 Posts