Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a droning (humming, not grinding or ticking) noise in front end of my envoy. Changed the right cv shaft. Slight improvement only. Droning continues. When i turn slightly to the right, the noise subsides. Symptoms are the same when in auto AWD and when in 2wd. Thoughts?

:thx

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
Have a droning (humming, not grinding or ticking) noise in front end of my envoy. Changed the right cv shaft. Slight improvement only. Droning continues. When i turn slightly to the right, the noise subsides. Symptoms are the same when in auto AWD and when in 2wd. Thoughts?

:thx
hi, welcome to the site.

did you check the front wheel bearings?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do i confirm the problem?

hi, welcome to the site.

did you check the front wheel bearings?
I suspect te bearings are the problem; however was looking for some mean to verify the problem and be sure i am replacing the correct side. How can i confirm the problem is the bearings and which side the problem is on. Its hard to be sure when i am driving the vi=ehicle.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
I suspect te bearings are the problem; however was looking for some mean to verify the problem and be sure i am replacing the correct side. How can i confirm the problem is the bearings and which side the problem is on. Its hard to be sure when i am driving the vi=ehicle.
you have to raise the front end and check each front tire individually.

heres a youtube vid that might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKWGjmPKoc

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,655 Posts
It probably would be prudent to change both at the same time. It may not be possible to tell which one is bad at this point.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
113 Posts
Change both, Im sure the other will be going soon I used timken from rock auto not a bad job to do. Don't over torque the axle shaft nut 103lbs max. good luck

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,655 Posts
If you don't want to pay the price of the Timkens, look for Detroit Axle on Ebay, they have been reported to be of fairly good quality, stay away from China garbage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts