Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I start on monday getting everything ready. I was asked to produce another Demo vehicle, so here it goes.

2006 Trailblazer LT 5.3 stock right now...

equipment list ordered so far...
4 RD Audio Alpha v.2 12" subwoofers
2 RD Audio Alpha 6.5" component sets
2 RD Audio 85.2
RD Audio HW9.0, will be run at .5 ohms...
160 sq ft of second skin damplifier pro
wiring
22" Trailblazer SS replica wheels and 265/35/22 tires
1.3"/3"lowering kit
HIDs
Black Suede
Black Leather

I'm undecided on the head unit for now, but this all has to be done by July 4th and trying to keep build costs under $6500! This will also be my daily driver after it's completed!

watch for updates!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am good friends with the people putting on the show and was asked to transform my car into a front runner/demo vehicle. It'll also be used in my booth after the first day at the show.

The budget it how much I can afford to spend on it, and I'll be coming in right around that. Redoing the interior is the biggest part and only having 3.5 weeks to get this done while still finishing customers cars is a bit difficult. As it looks, I might not have the time to cover the seats in suede and leather, but we will see!

Orders will all be placed Monday morning, tear down starts right after that with prep work for the sound deadening.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
I am good friends with the people putting on the show and was asked to transform my car into a front runner/demo vehicle. It'll also be used in my booth after the first day at the show.

The budget it how much I can afford to spend on it, and I'll be coming in right around that. Redoing the interior is the biggest part and only having 3.5 weeks to get this done while still finishing customers cars is a bit difficult. As it looks, I might not have the time to cover the seats in suede and leather, but we will see!

Orders will all be placed Monday morning, tear down starts right after that with prep work for the sound deadening.
keep us posted and please post pics as time permits

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been slack because i've had a lot more paying work ahead of this. but here is 3 days worth of work... box is made of birch ply and will be completely finished tonight. 46" x 29" x 14" tuned to 35hz

it's starting to come together.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
great stuff :D

supprised you used plywood for the box. and thats probably the smallest crx box ive seen, but it looks like its gonna be loud.

did you dampen the roof?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

supprised you used plywood for the box. and thats probably the smallest crx box ive seen, but it looks like its gonna be loud.

did you dampen the roof?
I've done all the calculations on my program and it should sound pretty damned nasty! and why not birch ply? stronger than MDF, half the weight, and double the price for the high quality. with how much weigh is going in there, I figured i'd save another 50lbs on wood. I resin the entire box, inside and out to make sure it's water tight and will last a long time.

and yes, you can get it at Home Depot. but if weight is not a concern, just go with MDF. half the price.

The box is done, and the top trim pieces are done. i'll be wrapping it tomorrow and building the battery trays and hopefully some side trim pieces... then doors are up next!

updates!

covered in resin and corners in fiberglass

more to come tomorrow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

did you dampen the roof?
yeah, the roof has 2 layers on it... i forgot to take a picture and didn't feel like pulling the headliner back off to snap one.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
oh sorry didnt realize it was birch :crazy:. dont really see anyone use it because of the price.

clear one thing up for me. one thing i never got was why birch is such a good wood for audio. i thought the mass was directly related to its acoustic properties.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh sorry didnt realize it was birch :crazy:. dont really see anyone use it because of the price.

clear one thing up for me. one thing i never got was why birch is such a good wood for audio. i thought the mass was directly related to its acoustic properties.
the pure strength it has with the cross sectioned layers is amazing. it's actually pretty dense. MDF weights more because of the glues and additives that hold it together. it is pricey at $50 a sheet. i looked at the maple also because it's pretty damned strong, but went with birch as the whole box weighs 50lbs tops... and when you got over $6000 in audio parts, what's $100 to build a box?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
So when you are done with that, will you come to my house? I have a neighbor that thinks his system sounds good (thats why he thumps it all day and night). I would love for you to come and wake my neighbor, nay, the entire block up at 3 am.

That is going to be wicked...

By the way, is that ostrich skin I see?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So when you are done with that, will you come to my house? I have a neighbor that thinks his system sounds good (thats why he thumps it all day and night). I would love for you to come and wake my neighbor, nay, the entire block up at 3 am.

That is going to be wicked...

By the way, is that ostrich skin I see?
i have a lady friend out in az, i'm sure she'd love me to make a trip...

and yes, that is emu, close enough to ostrich! i just wrapped the trim rings for the subs in it

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
looks good couple of questions though.

1) How many cubes is that box?

2) What is the port tuning?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts