Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced a leaking rear differential pinion seal. Reused the crush sleeve with properly setting the preload with beam type inch pound torque wrench.

Still have a leak at the seal. Looks to be coming from the shaft to seal area because it is slinging it under the body. Not just leaking to the ground as if it was the seal to the case leaking.

Any ideas on possible causes. Having to rely on the dealer to solve this concerns me.

Thanks Forum

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Did you check the sealing surface on the yoke? If it has a groove in it then the seal can not hold proper tension and will still leak. The only way i know to fix this is a new yoke. Also check the pinion for play up and down, left or right a worn bearing may cause a leak also. And that repair means replacement bearings. Good luck to ya:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. One other question. What is the allowable movement of the axle in & out. With all in new condition will the axle be able to be pulled and pushed in and out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
The pinion should have no movement other than twist. But the axle shaft to the wheels will have some in and out. I dont have a spec but something like 1/8 inch or so is normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts