Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my girlfriend out for our anniversary (starting good huh?) when I fire up my 06 TB and it started sputtering and jerking in idle. Issues were similar while Oscar Mike .Tried running through last tank of gas then filled up with "89" to see if the quality of fuel was a problem but issue remains. Had a tester plugged a few days later hoping it would flash up the problem and solution but then the guy pinched me and woke me up from a dream when all that was found was a misfire in cyl 1 and he couldn’t tell me were to begin... I’m not a mechanic but I am a computer technician with a pretty good grasp on deduction and reasoning. I know that troubleshooting is troubleshooting no matter how you swing it. I have a new spark plug in my glove comp but I wanted to see if there are any ideas or hints to start me off on my journey. FWI, I'm a 22 college student and this is my first Chevy and had it for 2 months and hope that this will be my last vehicle for at least 4 years... :worried: please help me figure this thing out. I joined this site because the content I read before hand was top notch and hoping one of these days I will be able to contribute.
PS. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty since I spent about 20 hours rigging my 92 Dakota until I could afford a new ride: rear U-joint, fuel pump, water pump, and 5-6 yrs of self maintenance and tune ups.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
164 Posts
Could be as simple as a fouled plug

This issue could be as simple as a fouled out plug. When was the last time you had the spark plugs changed? I would also try running some Techron or Seafoam though it because it could be a lazy injector. either way nothing too bad. and neither requires too much work. THese would be the best starting points that cost the least.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
:iagree:

Also if your going to put one in do them all:m2: Also make sure you get the right ones..ac delco iridiums? I think:undecided. Make sure.

Good luck and let us know what fixes it.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Delco 41-103 iridiums. Accept no substitutes.

You can also swap the coil pack for #1 with another location like #3, in case it's an intermittent coil pack. See if the intermittent comes back, and changes locations. Might also be oil/water in the plug well, but that's more likely to be further back, like position #4.

Be VERY careful on overtorquing the thin coil pack bolt.

If you buy a cheap code reader for like $35 on Ebay you can get the codes a lot faster which will enhance troubleshooting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback guys... tried the new plug and im still having issues, and yes its a pre-gapped iridium... gotta wait till next friday to break down for the other five plugs though. At this point im hoping its just the damn coil...so i can be done with it. Hoping i can get out of this with some christmas money left!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:tiphatWelcome fellow Nashvillian! It's probably your coil pack like the roadie said(always listen to the roadie as he is our on-site guru)! What part of Nashville are you in? I live by Glencliff High Scool and have a scanner that I would be glad to swap out a coil pack and then put it on to see if that's your problem. Give me a PM and let me know as I'm home most all the time as I'm retired/ disabled and don't mind helping at all!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
16 Posts
Yea me-Three!

I just got the same darn thing happen to me this morning. Right at startup. Just the time I need the 4X4 to work. Am in MD with 18" of snow on steep driveway & sloppy chunky roads.
Boy just makes me want to sell the thing. Worked fine 2 days ago when I parked it on a steep incline downward facing (my drive way of course :) waiting for the snow to stop.

Probability it's the coil? 7:10?
Fouled Plug (oil from steep hill?) 1:10? I think less.
How about ice in fuel line. Seems would go away once warm.
Can I eliminate it as an injector issue somehow?

Seems to only have a issue while under load or in gear. Can really hear a growl when underload. Almost like a timing issue on engines that had wrong mechanical advance setting, or a faulty muffler/resonator.
Seems to rev-up OK in Neutral. However do hear stumble out of tailpipe at idle. No dark smoke out TP. Seeing some black carbon on the inner TP wall.

How can you tell which coil? when out of hole (special test)?
Is the engine code specific to bad cylinder position?
So If I'm going to 'fix' it, is the one-coil the issue, or are all the coils going bAD (aging)?

Where to get a coil? OEM Only?

Signed, Stuck in the Snow. :hopeless

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You need to get the code read.(you are getting a CEL, right?) The code for a miss fire is usually P030x, with the x being, 0-6.

Coils and/or plugs can be found at most auto parts stores.

AC Iridium are most often recommended.:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
16 Posts
Yes me-Three, still

Yes,
Steady, goes to flashing when I'm heavy on pedal underload. Goes back to steady (Check Engine Soon, or something like that).

You need to get the code read.(you are getting a CEL, right?) The code for a miss fire is usually P030x, with the x being, 0-6.

Coils and/or plugs can be found at most auto parts stores.

AC Iridium are most often recommended.:m2:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Definitely get the code(s) read and stay out of WOT. When the CEL is flashing it is running very rich and you are going to cook your cat (expensive to replace).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Partcially Resolved = /

Issue was a combo between fouled plug and cooked coil which i replaced last week BUT before the repair the CEL would go off after a couple days of smooth running but now after I have "fixed" the issue (4 days and no rough rides or blinking CEL) the light has stayed on for about 4 days and is not going off now... was the rough idleing/running causing a more permanet issue or should i pull the battery again and see if it comes back? :worried:
Also, the sparkplug well had a bit of water in it!!! which i had to siphon out before i changed the plug. I verified it's not engine coolant so now im wondering were in the hell an inch of water came from:undecided Possible poor maintanece from previous owner/dealership?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Issue was a combo between fouled plug and cooked coil which i replaced last week BUT before the repair the CEL would go off after a couple days of smooth running but now after I have "fixed" the issue (4 days and no rough rides or blinking CEL) the light has stayed on for about 4 days and is not going off now... was the rough idleing/running causing a more permanet issue or should i pull the battery again and see if it comes back? :worried:
Also, the sparkplug well had a bit of water in it!!! which i had to siphon out before i changed the plug. I verified it's not engine coolant so now im wondering were in the hell an inch of water came from:undecided Possible poor maintanece from previous owner/dealership?

Hi,
If the water wasn't because of engine washing, I assume your truck is one of those which were flooded. Not necessarily, but possible. You can check the vehicle history.
Get the codes read before resetting the CEL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Forgot to mark SOLVED

I know this has been dead for a while but I just realized I never followed up to solve this issue. The main issue was in fact that water had run into the Cylinder # 1 spark plug well and ruined the plug and coil pack. Replacing these fixed the Misfire detected on Cyl #1 check engine code. The water was in there because I had been parking on a steep decline and rainwater was pouring in. The persisting issue was caused by poor attention on my part when putting the air unit back on. After taking it off and putting it back on again I noticed I had not clamped it down well enough and I forgot to connect a hose in the top of the motor case... After that all was well until the next OEM part failed. Hope this if helpful to others!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts