Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dropping a pan is not that big or a messy deal and you don't need longer bolts or nuts.

Just look at the angle depending on which way you jack it up or if it is level and take out the bolts on the side you want it to drain. It won't start leaking yet because all the others are tight.
Then get pan under the part that you want to drain where you have pulled the bolts. Note this should be the lowest or angled toward side..
Then start loosening the bolts each side going away from your drain area....the pan will start to drop on that end and fill the pan. Then when it slows down loosen some more.
When most or over half is gone you can hold it up and put one in each corner of where you first took them out and leave the opposite side corners in and take all the others out.
You now have 4 and it is level. Hold the bottom of pan or get assistance and take the last four out and take pan off nice and level.
This way you never have to really angle or dump it under car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My final update and then I'm out as I no longer have a trailvoy vehicle. Really bad whether hit unexpectedly right as I was leaving work a couple weeks ago. Despite trying to be careful and go slow on the way home, I hit some black ice and slid into the median on the highway. Tires had tons of tread- less than 10k miles on them. Just a moment of bad luck. While I was sitting in the vehicle off the side of the road in the grass, I could see in my rearview mirror a number of other cars start wobbling when they went over that same spot. Being a low value vehicle, the body repairs that would've been needed just barely totaled it. If it had been worth even a few hundred more, they would've probably fixed it. Impact wasn't very hard. No airbags deployed and I wasn't even thrown against my seatbelt but it did damage in multiple places where it made contact. So we bought my wife a new vehicle and I get her Forester. Hope it lasts me a couple years at least. I hate buying cars.

I have 2 gallons of ACDelco Dexron VI ATF sitting here unopened with zero use for it because I was close to doing another drain and fill. I was going to put on the new rubber/metal washer I bought to see if the stupid Dorman pan would stop leaking. Fluid level was still fine but it really annoyed me that a new pan that's whole point is adding a drain plug would have a drain plug that didn't even seal properly. Doesn't matter now.

No one was hurt. No other cars involved either so I'm grateful for that.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
sorry to hear about the accident , glad no one was hurt. was are you going to replace the trailvoy with?

ive had many probs with dorman products. I avoid them as much as possible now. worst part is they dont seem to care about the complaints.

same for cardone. also useless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks. I've been very lucky as this was the only accident I've been involved in for my entire 25 years of driving.

My wife bought a new Impreza and I'm taking her '12 Forester. So I'll be driving that until it dies. I just need a vehicle to get me to work and back. I only put about 10k miles on a vehicle a year. I like the way it drives, but the road noise in this vehicle is horrendous. I'm going to maybe look into some sound dampening. It sounds like the windows are down compared to driving the TB.

Yeah, Dorman is now on my avoid list. I e-mailed them about the issue and they totally ignored it. I'm not purchasing car parts from a company who be bothered to care.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts