Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2005 Chevy trailblazer 4.2 with 124k miles about 2 weeks ago I replace the fan clutch with the water pump I purshase the parts at my local autozone well for the last couple days I been hearing this knocking/ticking noise it only does it when I turn it on when I stop or when am in idle I got no clue what it is when I took it to the mechanic the sound didn't came on so they said the coudint find anything this is so anoying can some one plz help has any one ran into this sound before any input would be appreciated also my fan clutch seems to stay on all the time eaven after the truck has warm up is this normal I have. Included a link to my video I record when the truck was making the noise so u guys can see and hear what am talking about ...:mad::duh::hissy::weird: http://youtu.be/tCv27fKmG-Q

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
Sounds like maybe the fan is hitting the shroud just a little. Check the clearances.

BTW - use some punctuations when posting, it makes it easier to understand what you're trying to say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, but if it was hitting something wouldn't the sound be on all the time it just does it when I stop or idle. Also seens you area senior member is the fan sopous to staying all the time. BTW sorry bout the punctuation.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
I have to assume that the noise was created by whatever work you did recently (fan clutch and water pump). You need to listen carefully under the hood to isolate the area of the noise, and have someone inside the truck to put it in gear, take it out of gear , rev the engine a little, etc.

As far as the fan running all the time, yes it does run when the engine is running, but its speed is controlled by the PCM.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
I think it's worthy to note that the ticking doesn't seem to correspond to the belt drive but rather the cam speed (sounds like the ticking is reduced by half compared to idle) my opinion...not sure if this helps as a guide to a solution :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it solved it self

So the sound is gone now, I haven't heard it in about 2 weeks. Now am dealing with the code po410 notorious with this trucks.:mad::mad::hissy::weird: I just hope I can get this truck runing good by summer.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Our '02 LS makes a similar sound when the engine is cold, but it stops pretty soon after start-up. Can't say I've ever heard it when warmed up. I replaced the water pump about 150,000 miles ago, and I 'think' I replaced the fan clutch at the same time. That was in 2003 or 2004, so that's too long ago to remember.

You mentioned that you haven't heard the noise in a while, but if you do, it will be helpful to know if it only happens on a cold start or is also present on a warm start; whether it exists continuously or goes away after a short time running; if it's there when you stop after driving a while, etc. Happy motoring, and good luck with your TB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea sound came back not as often as before but is back an mine does it when is warm too not just on cold starts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Hey all with the ticking sound....I recently read a very in-depth fan clutch thread that broke down the issues year-to-year with the clutches on our trucks....the ticking noise that you all are describing and the years of your trucks coincides with a clutch viscous fluid issue....worth a thread search!:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess it solved it self

So the sound is gone now, I haven't heard it in about 2 weeks. Now am dealing with the code po410 notorious with this trucks.:mad::mad::hissy::weird: I just hope I can get this truck runing good by summer.
You are not alone. I have had no work done on the engine. I have had my 2005 TB EXT LT for 6 years and upon startup it makes a clicking ponging sound. We tried in vain to find what it was and never could. It hasn't made that sound in awhile but it did it for years with no I'll effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts