Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... New guy here with what I'm hoping are not major 2005 Trailblazer (4WD) issues.

Background on problems: Approximately 2 weeks ago we had several days of subfreezing temps here in Louisiana. The 2005 Trailblazer had not been run during this period and had sat idle for +/- 10 days after the freezing temps departed.

I got into the vehicle yesterday to crank it up and nothing. No indicator lights, dome lights, etc. Determined the battery was dead. Attempted to jump the vehicle off without success. Tried to turn the ignition to the off position without success. The ignition will now only go to the run > start position and will not turn back to the off / lock position. Needless to say the key is stuck in the ignition in the run position.

I have replaced the battery. Upon doing so the vehicle starts right up and runs like a champ. But.... The ignition is still in the run position and will not turn off. I have checked the primary (under hood) and secondary (under rear seat) fuses for the ignition and they all appear fine after visual inspection. The only way to kill the vehicle is to disconnect the battery terminals and let it die after +/- 20 minutes.

***Side note: The ABS and Brake indicators are now lit on the dash***

This morning I noticed that in addition to the ignition issue the following things will not work in the vehicle:

*** Radio
*** Windshield Wipers
*** AC system

I've checked the fuses for these as well and all appear fine.

PLEASE HELP................... Any solutions, ideas or trouble shooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Do you have a meter? If you jumped anywhere else than the battery, such as the attractive threaded studs on the front fuse block, you could have blown your megafuse. That feeds the rear fuse block (not all, but many fuses) that could have taken out the entertainment and HVAC blower systems.

The key being stuck is another symptom of a bad battery, and perhaps you bent the solenoid part during attempts to get the key back to the off position. I'm not an expert on that part of the steering column.

Confirm the megafuse with your meter, then fix it. Then see if the ignition switch starts behaving. Oh, and a quick way to shut the vehicle off is to yank the fuel pump fuse/relay.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Not sure about the key being stuck, but I have had to replace my ignition switch twice, and both time the ABS/Brake lights were on. Also I lost power to the A/C one of the times. Do you have strange voltages on the 12V outlets? If so, a sure sign the ignition switch is dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
X5,

Thanks for the heads up. I will check the voltages and see if anything out of the ordinary is going on. I'm starting to lean towards replacing the igniton now to but I'm still checking / testing fuses 1st to eleminate a less costly issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update:

Confirmed that the mega fuse was good to go. Checked voltages and everything seems fine. I found my fuse tester finally and went through EVERY minit fuse under the hood and under the read seat. All fuses checked out.

Ignition must be shot. The AC, Radio and Windshield Wipers still don't work... Guess I'm going to have to take this thing to the dealer and let them rape me with no lube.

Thanks for the suggestions guys....

·
Registered
5 Posts
similar problem

i recently jumped my trailblazer as well, and im also having electrical problems but i have power to the radio, wipers and blower. i checked every fuse under hood and under bench seat. everything checked out. not sure what this problem could be.Also when i got it running after the jumpstart, i went to turn it off, and it literally would NOT shut dowm, i turned the key to off, pulled it out, and disconnected both battery terminals, and it wass STILL running. sounded like it was trying to shut off, but wouldnt. i had to pull the PCM fuse. i have not found anyone else reporting the problems i had, and everyone i ask seem to know nothing about this situation. any ideas????

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 06 trailblazer just went into limp mode..I pulled into a parking lot and parked the car died and havent heard it run again.. now its stuck in limp mode I pulled every code code and the total was 50 +

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,737 Posts
As a quick check, unplug the electric fan clutch. If it goes bad, or the wiring to it, it can load down the 5 VDC reference voltage. The throttle body uses the same 5 VDC reference voltage circuit as the fan clutch and can cause the engine to go into limp mode.

Sounds like you might have a wire bundle that's shorting out against the body/frame. Follow the wire bundle the fan clutch comes out of and look for wear marks, worn insulation, etc. as you follow it as far as you can.

That many trouble codes pretty much points to one or two problems and everything on those circuits are now acting wonky.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.