Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2005 TB LS front end squeak it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side i replaced the tensioner pulley and the noise is still there i found similar posts where people seemed to be having the same problem but they never posted back to say what it was. I can say it is not the hood it makes the noise on start up with the hood open. Tensioner pulley assembly has been replaced. It is almost a rythmic squeak every one to two seconds any ideas. Where should i look next. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:tiphatHELLO AND WELCOME TO THE SITE. I'm NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR NOISE PROBLEM, BUT VERY SURE SOMEONE ON HERE WILL BE ABLE TO HELP AS WE HAVE SOME very KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS ON HERE!:tiphat

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
:tiphatHELLO AND WELCOME TO THE SITE. I'm NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR NOISE PROBLEM, BUT VERY SURE SOMEONE ON HERE WILL BE ABLE TO HELP AS WE HAVE SOME very KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS ON HERE!:tiphat
I'm sure they will show up sometime :D but until then you have to look at the possibilities. Only other thing there is the power steering pump. The idler pulley is the next squeaker but that is on the opposite side. Could it be something loose? You can also use something to squirt a fine stream of water on things to eliminate the squeak temporarily as a trouble shooter. How old is your serp belt?:m2:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
exactly what kind of squeak are you talking about? Does it sound like a belt squeak or something mechanical? Metal against metal? Does it go away at higher RPM's or just speed up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squeak

I did some more research today after work and it would seem to be the water pump bearing wearing out. I checked each individual pulley and when i got to the fan there was alot of play so i stoped by my local auto parts store and looked through the manual and it basically said to replace it now. Has anyone had to replace there pump. Was it a difficult job. The last water pump i cahnged was in a Grand Am and it was in the timing housing. It ran great for about a week then went boom and set the grass on the side of the road on fire. Thanks for all the help Peeps :duh:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
I did some more research today after work and it would seem to be the water pump bearing wearing out. I checked each individual pulley and when i got to the fan there was alot of play so i stoped by my local auto parts store and looked through the manual and it basically said to replace it now. Has anyone had to replace there pump. Was it a difficult job. The last water pump i cahnged was in a Grand Am and it was in the timing housing. It ran great for about a week then went boom and set the grass on the side of the road on fire. Thanks for all the help Peeps :duh:
This is from another member: Originally Posted by sbw9056 View Post
Yesterday I put a new water pump in my wife's 2003 Trailblazer 4.2L six with only 43,000 miles on it. Fine quality Gm engineering.
Anyway, if you are going to change it out yourself, and you have a Haynes manual, throw it in the trash. It doesn't tell you half of what you have to do.
1. Drain radiator
2. Disconnect trans cooler lines.
3. Remove the grill.
4. Remove the headlights.
5. Remove the grill back plate.
6. Remove the right fender support bracket
7. Remove the top of the core support.
8. Remove the top radiator bracket.
9. Disconnect the fan clutch plug.
10. Unscrew the fan clutch.
11. Pull the radiator and fan out as one unit.
12. Remove the water pump pulley.
13. Unbolt the water pump and replace.
Reverse sequence for reinstallation.

It took me about 4.5 Hours to take it apart and about .5 hours to put it back together. You will need a special tool from autozone to remove the fan from the water pump. It's time consuming but if I had to do it again. I would do still do it. You would be surprised how much you learn about your TB> :m2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks LVT

i appreciate you trying to help and im totaly glad i replaced the pump before i read the post. I dont know what the major differences are from 03 to 05 but i really cant tell why anyone would ever need to remove the headlights and grill or even radiator. Its rather easy about an hour and a half. But i truly do appreciate everyones assistance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts