Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I don't post as often as I'd like to, but I stay current with reading everything in the forums here. I have a problem with HID low beams turning completely off and on intermittently (not flickering or dimming) while driving. Sometimes it does it slowly while other times it flashes more rapidly. I have the DRL Killer and I've already ruled out electrical system load, such as stereo, A/C, etc. I have also attempted the 20 second idle trick to see if it was related to the Secondary AIR system. That trick seemed to work for a couple months, but now it has started again. Also, I do not see any voltage drop on the voltage gauge in the instrument cluster. I have searched for and read related posts and have tried everything I can think of short of replacing the battery and/or alternator. However, I was thinking maybe it's the relay in my HID low beam harness. I haven't found any information relating to that. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Royce

·
Registered
84 Posts
It sounds like either a bad ground or a bad relay.

If you can, use the battery for the ground. If it's not an option, a bare metal surface works as a good alternative. If the relay is bad, only thing you can really do is replace it. Any 40-amp fog light relay will work. If you want something excessive, I've used 2007 Ford F250 foglight relays for a couple of cars that require a different relay.

Also, is it one side that's cutting out, or both sides? If it's one side, it's a bulb or a ballast. If it's both, it's something on the harness.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:undecided so you are using a relay harness to get power in your battery; does the problem happen whlie the truck is moving or when it is stitting still; i wonder if the fuse is loosing conestion in the wireing harness when you hit some bumps
It usually happens when the truck is moving. I've had it happen while driving on a smooth interstate highway or a bumpy road.

do you ever need to replace the bulbs in the hids?
The bulbs are what came with the kit and have worked fine since the day I installed them.

It sounds like either a bad ground or a bad relay.

If you can, use the battery for the ground. If it's not an option, a bare metal surface works as a good alternative. If the relay is bad, only thing you can really do is replace it. Any 40-amp fog light relay will work. If you want something excessive, I've used 2007 Ford F250 foglight relays for a couple of cars that require a different relay.

Also, is it one side that's cutting out, or both sides? If it's one side, it's a bulb or a ballast. If it's both, it's something on the harness.
I'm going to agree with you on the relay.

I am using the same ground for the HID foglights as well and have no problem with them. However, I will check the grounds again too.

It happens to both headlights simultaneously. What I've been doing is shutting off the headlights when this happens and just run the fogs and parking lights. The problem occurs every 2-3 days now.

I will swap my headlight relay with my fog relay on Saturday and will report back if/when I notice a problem with the foglamps. Then, I will buy a new relay.

Thank you everyone for your help. :tiphat

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
chances are that it is in one of the relays/connections....check them first

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
hey can u help me too

hey sorry im in the wrong place for this question but i gotta ask....
i just recently put hids on my low and foglights and today when i started my truck i noticed my fogs werent on so i pushed the button a couple time than i went under the hood and found out the 15amp fuse was blown so i replaced it than i tried them again.. and yet again the fuse blew idk whats going on this hasent happened to my other rides thx for any suggestions i know this reply is in the wrong place

1 - 9 of 9 Posts