Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did several searches, but could not find a direct answer to this question. Can you put a 2005+ MP3-capable head unit into a 2004 Trailblazer? I currently have the in-dash 6-disc changer with no MP3 capability, but would very much like to get an MP3-capable HU that will also work with the steering wheel controls, etc.

Anyone done this? What besides a different HU would be required to make this swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Head unit will swap right in as long as you get the right one (if you're non-bose, then get non-bose, for example).
I agree, but u will need to reprogram the VIN in the HU. Also you need to make sure that when you have this done, might as well have the dealer do it, you have them also update the software. The 2005 HU's had a software glitch that was causing problems with the MP3 function.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, good information. Anything special to tell the dealership if/when I make the swap? Just that I got a new radio and to update the software if they can? I don't _think_ it's the bose (wife's car, not mine) so I'll be sure to match up with whatever's there.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Ummmm, it is either bose or isnt. If it is a bose HU and you dont have bose it wont work no matter what you do! The Bose system has amplifers outside the HU for all the speakers and it operates on a 2 ohm system. You might want to check that first.:yes:

When you go to the dealer just tell them you need to have a HU you bought from a junk yard programmed with your VIN and have the software updated on it. If they tell you they cant do it, ask for the manager! They are lying to you.:nono: Every dealership was sent the cable and a cd-rom disc with the update. If they cant do it they are idiots and dont deserve your bussiness anyways!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts