1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 isuzu ascender
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Isuzu Ascender
4.2L V-6

I recently started having issues with my truck starting. I have previously had some issues that appear to be electrical so I'm not sure if this is just another symptom of a bigger electrical problem or not. I was leaving work and the truck wouldn't start. When I turn on the key everything looks fine. The gauges and indicators light up and then go off as expected. When i turned the key to start the car it just clicked. Not a hard/loud click like a bad starter, but much softer. From what I can tell it is coming from a relay on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You can see where it comes from in Picture #1.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3R6vZPMpaDiQkZRaUVwNUR0T3c/edit?usp=sharing

And here is a video of the console when i am trying to start the truck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3R6vZPMpaDiZmphNFliNlZlN0E/edit?usp=sharing

After checking the fuses I make a few more attempts to start the car and finally it just starts. I did notice that the radio was the one thing that was not working when the car wouldn't start. On the last/successful turn of the ignition i hear the radio come on and the car starts right up. It looks as if everything is normal until i start to drive off. I notice that the tachometer is bouncing erratically and does not match what the engine is actually doing. While this was weird the truck was running fine. You can see what this looked like in Video #1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3R6vZPMpaDibk5WdENiUGdFSzg/edit?usp=sharing (I'm not out of gas. The gauge is broken.)

I drove the truck home with no issues other than the tachometer, but it was a nervous ride for sure. After getting home I turn off the car and just to see what would happen i tried to start it again. It starts right up. Later that day I was going to run out to the store and sure enough it wouldn't start. After a couple minutes of trying to start the car it finally fires up. Runs fine all the way to the store and home.

This brings us to today. I attempted to start the car and it was not having it. I tried to disconnect the battery for a little while, checked fuses/relays but nothing appeared to be bad. I have my wife sit in the truck and turn the key so that I can track down the clicking sound. I manage to narrow it down to what appears to be a couple relays on the passenger side of the truck near the firewall. I can't tell if they are bad or not (they click), but that is the source of the noise as far as I can tell. You can see the area in Picture #1 above.

I'm not sure what is going on or where to start looking.

We have had other seemingly related electrical issues such as:

• Dim Lights not working (Bulbs/fuses are good)
  • Radio will just turn off and not back on. Has to be reset to come back on.
  • Burned through two AC/Heater Fan Relays (working now)

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
The security lock is activated (yellow light up in top left corner)Have to do a search on here for that have no clue except mite be a bad ing. switch.

·
Registered
2006 isuzu ascender
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get it started this morning. Not sure how. I didn't really do anything. I pulled off the cover from the steering column to make sure there weren't any loose wires. Everything looked good. I hooked up my OBD2 and while it did give me a P0526 Error Code (Fan Speed Sensor Circuit) everything else looked good.

I drove it to run a couple errands and everything ran fine. I did leave it running however. Once i got home i shut it off and started it a few times with no problem. It may or may not start again. Not very reliable so I'm still looking for the cause.

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
319 Posts
Same happened on our car twice within 3 weeks but then never since for 2+ years...

The only thing you can do is try to figure out what you do different to make it work again.

In my case the headlights, radio etc worked just wouldn't crank. When I opened the hood to check and dropped it back down then it worked again. Made me suspect the starter relay or else the solenoid was somehow stuck. But all has been fine for years now. You could start by swapping the starter relay next time it happens. I don't remember the model # but it is very very common in GM cars...3506 I think? You may be able to borrow from another vehicle temporarily.

·
Registered
2006 isuzu ascender
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over the last few days it has been hit or miss. There seems to be a pattern, but it makes no sense to me. The car will not start in the morning, but after lunch when it seems to have heated up the car starts and runs fine. I cant figure out what could cause this.

Maybe it will make more sense to someone else. I'm not sure what the heat could be affecting that would make it magically work. That seems to be the only consistent thing about the problem.

I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
319 Posts
Heat will cause thermal expansion in metals, so possibly a poor connection(loose bolt/nut or corrosion) on ground or positive terminals??? This could be anywhere from the battery to ignition switch to starter based on your original problem description. If the battery is older, consider removing it from the car and get it tested for free at autozone, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts