Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found a 2005 GMC Envoy for sale with some front driver's side damage and is asking if I think it is a good price for the work that it needs. It has just under 40k miles with heated seats, luggage rack, tow package, cd player and all the little goodies. It has a salvage title, but drives fine. From what I can tell the damage is purely cosmetic. I basically have a two-part question.

First, since you guys have a much better understanding of the costs involved with the Envoy, what would your estimate be for parts? I could repair it myself (less paint), but I haven't found a good source for parts yet so I can't get any reliable prices. It looks like the obvious, Drivers front fender, headlight, bumper cover, grill, inner fender, and sideskirt... but what am I missing?

Secondly, do you think this is a good buy? List price is $7,950, so I could probably get down around $7,500. Thanks for any help in advance. I am from the f-body crowd traditionally, so I am glad to be a part of another gm-based board. What a first post huh? :D

Pictures:

·
Premium Member
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I would haggle with them some on the price and maybe take it to a body shop for an estimate to see if they see something you missed.
If you don't buy it let me know. I wouldn't mind finding a new ride for my wife.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
I am curious about the damage. From what I can see it shouldn't be too hard to repair..... which makes me wonder why it ended up with a salvage title. I would definately take it for a full estimate. I would suspect some hidden damage.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
They wouldn't have totalled it if it was cosmetic... If it was cosmetic, that's like $2k in parts, plus paint...

I suspect the structure that the body panels and headlight mount too is crushed, and the same into the part that the door hinges mount into...

I wouldn't pay $7500 for it...

Mike

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
If you do decide to take it, haggle them down to $5000 or don't take it at all. Don't, not even for a second feel guilty about that offer, they probably didn't even pay half that so the rest will be profit for them. :thumbsup:

And WELCOME!!! to the site.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
23 Posts
I am a bodyshop manager (former full time and present weekend tech) and know prices of repairs and salvage pretty well, and by seeing those pics that is not worth 7500 with a salvage title. My other concern is why did they total it because it dosent look too bad in the pics, but pics never show all of the damage. I bought my wife an 06 trailblazer ls ext with only 10,000 miles on it with a theft recovered salvage title for only 11,000 with no damage in 2007.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Im with the others, tell em 5k or you're walking. With a salvage title make sure you check with your insurance to see if they will insure it and/or credit union/band to make sure you can get financing.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
46 Posts
Sounds suspicious... How come they totaled the vehicle for cosmetic damage ?
Not a car dealer but if it was only cosmetic why not repair and resell ?
Sounds to me there more going on than there telling you :no:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
23 Posts
A total loss is determined by cost of repairing the car in relation to what the car is worth, not wether its cosmetic damage or not. If the car was worth 10,000 (example) the ins co will usually only pay out up to a certain percentage of the cars value. By the pictures it looks like somebody already did some suspension work on the left front. The hit goes all around the tire and it looks pretty straight now. Price out the parts and paint labor before making the purchase to see if it works for you, but in my opinion you could spend only a little more and get a car with a clean title ready to drive.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
A total loss is determined by cost of repairing the car in relation to what the car is worth, not wether its cosmetic damage or not. If the car was worth 10,000 (example) the ins co will usually only pay out up to a certain percentage of the cars value. By the pictures it looks like somebody already did some suspension work on the left front. The hit goes all around the tire and it looks pretty straight now. Price out the parts and paint labor before making the purchase to see if it works for you, but in my opinion you could spend only a little more and get a car with a clean title ready to drive.
:iagree:Have a thorough estimate of all work needed to restore it to proper running condition. Insurance only covers as much as they see fit based on many factors. That truck books for $17k. Assuming the seller is trying to make a quick buck, he picked it up for $5k from the insurance and wants to make $2000-2500 on the deal which is why he is asking so much. Either way, that means the truck requires $12000 in repairs as estimated to restore it to pre accident specs. Sure, you can save some of that by doing work yourself, but the makes the worst case expectation to pay $20000 for a $17000 vehicle. That is just a slightly educated guess, though.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
looks to me there is probably damage underneath thats why the spares are on the back, the front tires might have gone flat and they are tryin to throw you off. i would say the front driver side suspension is gonna need replaced just from lookin at it but you probably won't know till its on an alignment rack. seems awefully pricey! i would steer clear of any salvage because of resale value, ten years ago salvage autos were worth buying but now you can buy a good used vehicle for cheap.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Hopefully the information in this thread will help your decision.

If this deal does not work out and the seller won't come down, I wouldn't buy it.

But, I would continue to look for an Envoy, Trailblazer, Ascender, Ranier, 9-7x, or Bravada (all of which are commonly referred to as "Trailvoys"). My mom drove her Envoy for 5 years before handing it off to me and it has been an awesome car. It still rides smooth, has lots of power on tap (maybe cause of my CAI ;)), can tow with ease, and can carry a bunch of people. I would certainly keep looking for another one if this doesn't work out because if you're in the market for a mid-size SUV at a reasonable price, this is the car for you.

If it was me buying, I would be looking for an Envoy Denali or a Trailblazer SS, but that's just me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
I'm sure the OP has figured by now this is not a good deal at any price. For reference here's the result of a low impact side-swipe: Parts - $2000, Labour - $2000, Paint - $500

20191128_111804sm.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts