Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
70 Posts
Thanks for the great write up guys! Finally dropped fuel tank last weekend to change the fuel level sensor, now gauge works great. :hail:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Thanks for the writeup.

For those of us with a SWB, there are 3 more evap-related connectors at the rear of the tank.

Those fuel quick connectors are a pain. I ended up needing channel locks to persuade the large connector in the rear to seat.

I'm rather amazed at the amount of rust on the top of the stock pump. You'd think they would have plated the steel or something.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Great Post... :)... I am waiting for my replacement pump and after reading this last thread... I am going to follow your thread and finish my task on getting "My Baby " back on the road.. Wish me Luck...
:woot:

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
14 Posts
Replaced the entire fuel pump assembly this weekend. My husband followed these directions for our 2006 Saab 9-7x and had no problems (he and his dad did the job together with me occasionally helping lower/raise the tank with the jack). Wanted to contribute to the thread in case other 9-7x owners out there were wondering if there would be any difference.

Our fuel tank with the old, rusted fuel pump.

And my favorite pic :D
[/URL][/IMG]

Took about 5 hours total...would have been quicker, except those "quick assembly clips" were a royal PITA to get off...once they figured out how to do one, it was easier after that.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
29 Posts
Good " how to's" - thanks for the pics----- I am STILL fascinated with the whole submersing an ELECTRICAL device in GASOLINE -- much more effcient than a mechanical pump--

Quite an engineering feat--- (surely someone ignited one somewhere along the way during developmental testing)

I still think GM should have put a "SERVICE HATCH" under the carpet to make the pump change EASY

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
18 Posts
Fuel tank removal

Sinotar, what tool did you use to release the fuel line clamps in the front of the tank? Is ther some sort of trick to get these off?:duh:

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
14 Posts
Sinotar, what tool did you use to release the fuel line clamps in the front of the tank? Is ther some sort of trick to get these off?:duh:

Dbrow--I think you are talking about those "quick clips"...my husband was using a screwdriver to get them off. They should be in a U shape....push down on the bottom of the U with the screwdriver....he said that the ends would then spread apart and the lines could come apart. He was doing it with his fingers, but that got tiring and started to hurt.

U
^ push here

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
You need be patient to deal with those little quick connector clips. They are different sizes, but same mechanism -- U-shape. You need to push both two ends (legs) in but toward outside (apart) -- push only one leg is possible too --- at the same time (using some pointed hook tool) try to pull from the other side (round side) away from the connector. If you are careful, you will not break them. I think what I did was:

1) Push one leg toward outside
2) Push a pointed tool inside the round side and pull it out a little, and keep the tool there so it does not go back
3) Push another leg toward outside and push in
4) The clip now can be pull away by the pointed tool on the other side.

Dbrow--I think you are talking about those "quick clips"...my husband was using a screwdriver to get them off. They should be in a U shape....push down on the bottom of the U with the screwdriver....he said that the ends would then spread apart and the lines could come apart. He was doing it with his fingers, but that got tiring and started to hurt.

U
^ push here

Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clips

So if I understand this, the clips must be removed completely, correct? I bought a tool that slips into the fitting and spreads the clips but I cannot pull the lines apart. If it needs to be removed completely that would answer my question. By the way great photography on your article.
Dan

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, I believe the clips need to be removed completely. You should be able to hook it and pull it easily from the other side when you are able to spread the clip legs.

So if I understand this, the clips must be removed completely, correct? I bought a tool that slips into the fitting and spreads the clips but I cannot pull the lines apart. If it needs to be removed completely that would answer my question. By the way great photography on your article.
Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
fuel pump clips

Thanks for the reply. I will get after it again today. Tough on an "old" guy
rolling around on the driveway! I'll get it done today--one way or the other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fuel pump

Got the tank out, broke two clips, and the new pump installed now I just have to put things back together. The fuel pressure line has some o rings on it and I am a bit worried about these. to be safe I am going to replace them so I can be somewhat sure the line will not leak. Clips cost 5 bucks for an assortment of 3 each. Still a working gauge will be worth all of the scraped knuckles!:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Replaced pump

:)Thanks for the thread. Replaced the wifes fuel pump on 03 trailblazer. Not all was exactly the same but close enough that your post made it much smoother. 1.5 to 2 hrs. Just so all know, hers was loosing vacume. It ran fine but you had to turn the key on and off 3 to 4 times before actually turning the engine over or it would not start. Due to the leak within the pump it would loose its pressure while sitting and not running say overight for example. Again thanks.

Cooper
:)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Yes, I believe the clips need to be removed completely. You should be able to hook it and pull it easily from the other side when you are able to spread the clip legs.
Clips do not need to be removed. The bottom of the clip only needs to be pushed in to release the lines. The clips should not be removed.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
Please help me. in your picutres i noticed a piece that broke on my gas tank. Can you please tell me what this part is called so i can order another one and finally feel safe driving my TB again?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Clips not carried locally

Hi, This is my first posting. Just finished replacing the fuel pump in the 2005 Envoy, broke a couple of the clips disconnecting the lines. I couldn't get the quick-disconnect to release without taking the clip completely out. Maybe they're supposed to release by just pushing them in, but they wouldn't work that way for me - so I took them completely out and broke a couple. I think they broke because they're the ones located at the back of the tank, closest to the exhaust pipe. Maybe the heat made them brittle. For whatever reason, they broke. Didn't think it would be a big deal since a couple of others here said they picked up some new clips with no problem. I, however, couldn't find them anywhere. And I live in Dallas so there's no shortage of places to look.

O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Car Quest, Pep Boys - no luck. They all had some Ford clips that were similar, but nothing that would fit the GM quick disconnect. So I finally broke down and went to the stealership to pick them up - no luck there either. GM's part guy looked 'em up and then grinned and said I could only get them by purchasing new fuel lines, they aren't sold any other way. He had the clip in his hand so there was no mistaking what I needed. I told him that wasn't going to happen - never ever. Back to the house and onto Ebay - everybody has them for sale. No problem ordering them on-line. So I called a few other places locally just to be sure they weren't in stock - no luck. Either I order them on-line or go without. Auto Zone said they could order them and have 'em in a couple of days, I reckon the other stores could do the same. Anyhow, I've got them coming in from Summit. Until then, the Envoy sits waiting for clips - everything else is installed.

So, I said all that to say this: It might be wise to find or order a set of clips (Dorman p/n 800-023. 6 clips - three of each size. $4.95 from Summit off Ebay) or have your local parts store bring some in before starting - just in case.

And also: It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy another GM product. Government Motors indeed.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Not sure if you have figured it out. I don't know what it is. The best is probably take the picture and ask dealer to see if there is a replacement part for it.

Please help me. in your picutres i noticed a piece that broke on my gas tank. Can you please tell me what this part is called so i can order another one and finally feel safe driving my TB again?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
20 Posts
Very nice write up...

Looking at doing this along with a filter. What pump does everyone suggest?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts