Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube in february and I'm suspecting something was done incorrectly. It has been 1700 miles since the oil change. I pulled the dip stick tongiht and it was dry. I assume this is a bad sign. Can anyone tell me where the oil level should be on the dipstick? I think it should reach up to the textured portion of the dipsstick. In my case there is no oil anywhere. I can't imagine my truck burning that much oil in only 1700 miles.

Also for those of you that have onstar does the oil life reset after every oil change automatically with a computer or does it have to manually be done by a person?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Check your bill, and make sure they put the right amount of oil in. Our I6's take 7 quarts of oil. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but you did check the oil with the engine off for a few minutes, to allow the oil to drain back into the pan right?

On you second question, the tech SHOULD have reset the oil life monitor. I don't have Onstar, but if you do, they should have it in record as to the last time it was reset.

Oh, fill in the vehicle info under the User CP, so we know what you're driving. I assumed you had a I6...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
:iagree:

Yes, the OLM has to be reset after every oil change. The instructions are in the owner's manual.
FWIW, when my TB was new I had the oil changed at the dealership and they did NOT reset the light!:hissy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the info. Assume I know nothing :) thats ok.

Yes I have the I6. Just checked the Jiffy Lube receipt and they filled it with 6.25 qts. Haven't seen any oil drips under the truck. The engine was off for about 2 hours. Still warm though.

Check your bill, and make sure they put the right amount of oil in. Our I6's take 7 quarts of oil. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but you did check the oil with the engine off for a few minutes, to allow the oil to drain back into the pan right?

On you second question, the tech SHOULD have reset the oil life monitor. I don't have Onstar, but if you do, they should have it in record as to the last time it was reset.

Oh, fill in the vehicle info under the User CP, so we know what you're driving. I assumed you had a I6...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok great thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if onstar magically could reset it and scan the oil electronically or if it was reset manually.

:iagree:

Yes, the OLM has to be reset after every oil change. The instructions are in the owner's manual.
FWIW, when my TB was new I had the oil changed at the dealership and they did NOT reset the light!:hissy:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
ok great thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if onstar magically could reset it and scan the oil electronically or if it was reset manually.
LOL, yeah Onstar isn't THAT magical!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if Jiffy Lube didn't put all 7 quarts in. A lot of people don't know and are surprised that these engines hold that much oil.

I hope you caught it soon enough that there isn't any damage to the engine. Also something you should know - do NOT trust the oil pressure gauge. Many people think because the gauge shows pressure that there MUST be oil in there.

We have found out that GM made this gauge a glorified idiot light. Roadie checked the service manual and found this to be true. Others had mentioned it before this - I believe one was a GM technician of some kind!

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=52361&highlight=oil+pressure+gauge

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=21429&highlight=oil+gauge

In the second thread, Prosphoto appears to be mistaken about it being a 3 way switch. He recently changed jobs and hasn't been around much lately so we can't question him on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts