Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Trailblazer’s 4L60E transmission went out (4SDD). Due to the high miles i wasn’t going to fix but I was able to get a 9LHD for a very low cost. This is from a 1999 Chevy van. I knew the bellhousing of the 4SDD is approx 3/4 inch deeper and it has a larger torque converter. I was just going to swap with the original one but then I noticed that the input spline is different. This is the 4SDD:

And this is the 9LHD

I haven’t tried to see if the torque converters will physically fit but due to the shape difference I figured it would have issues. I can’t use the original torque converter from the 9LHD due to it being smaller (if I bolted it up it wouldn’t be all the way on the shaft). Any ideas? Didn’t know if I could do the above or if they sold a torque converter that fits the old 9LHD shaft but is thicker. If nothing works probably going to have to send it to the great salvage yard in the sky.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
443 Posts
Don't know about that, but you need to check the tailshafts too. Make sure they're the same length as the one coming out, and also the electronics inside the trans.
You might just want to get a boneyard trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 4SDD is the 300mm torque converter and pump and the the 9LHD is the 298mm pump and torque converter. the Bellhousings are different depths and the torque converters are not interchangeable between the pump styles. The codes for the 4l60E are below.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts