Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am trying to find the reverse wire location in the dash plug for the cluster to make my Boss touchscreen radio activate the backup camera. I looked online. And everyone says to run a wire from my reverse light? Why on earth would I want to run a wire all the way from the back up and in to the radio area? Or am I missing something on doing this? I need to get my camera yet. Only have the used radio at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,697 Posts
NO, you posted it in the right place. Likely due to some not knowing the correct wiring to tell you to use, Some thinking that since the backup lights are controlled by the Body Control Module, it might be best to follow the advice you've already been given - ...run a wire from the backup lights.... Some reading it and just waiting to see what kind of answers you'll get.

Me, I'm about 50% for running a wire from the backup lights so you don't screw up the BCM, 35% waiting to see what kind of answers you get, and 15% not knowing which wire to use (remember there are a boatload of wires in the dash).

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,697 Posts
But then we would not have to use these forums, meet interesting people, have fun, and learn something all at the same time!:)

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
He Touchés himself all the time.

I decided to not run that long wire and instead added a toggle switch from the power port to send a signal to the screen.

It was fun-enough running the camera cable and once I had everything snapped back together ... I wasn't gonna unsnap it all again.

I did it my way.

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
201 Posts
My experience with back cameras is that the feed wire doubles as the power wire. In the pasted image below, there's a small yellow wire that sticks out next to the RCA plug on both sides. Since you're (read as you should be) running the camera feed wire from the back to the head unit in the front, you'll have you're power there. Connect one end to a reverse light wire and the other end attaches on the camera power wire on your head unit.

I've done this on an 08 Impala and on the current 02 TrailBlazer, connecting to 2 different head units in this fashion and have not had any issues with image quality or functionality. The fun was removing the cover from the lift gate on the Trailblazer in order to access all the wiring within in order to properly mount the camera.

If you're doing one of those wireless setups, then you needn't worry about running any wires.

Light Cable Circuit component Electrical wiring Font

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience with back cameras is that the feed wire doubles as the power wire. In the pasted image below, there's a small yellow wire that sticks out next to the RCA plug on both sides. Since you're (read as you should be) running the camera feed wire from the back to the head unit in the front, you'll have you're power there. Connect one end to a reverse light wire and the other end attaches on the camera power wire on your head unit.

I've done this on an 08 Impala and on the current 02 TrailBlazer, connecting to 2 different head units in this fashion and have not had any issues with image quality or functionality. The fun was removing the cover from the lift gate on the Trailblazer in order to access all the wiring within in order to properly mount the camera.

If you're doing one of those wireless setups, then you needn't worry about running any wires.

View attachment 59783
Okay thanks for the info. I’ll get my camera and see what I need to do from there.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Installed a Boss w/bu camera in my '06 TBSS a few months ago. Wasted a ton of time trying to ID a wire closer to the dash for the reverse signal. Finally bit the bullet and tapped into the tail light. To avoid popping all the trim, I ran the wires (video and BU) through the roof. Really wasn't hard. I took a 10' piece of 1/4 round molding, rounded one end, drilled a 3/16" hole in it, took the rear trim off and fished it to the driver's A pillar, then pulled a length of nylon cord back to the rear opening. Hardest part for me was getting the wires through the rubber boot from the body to the rear hatch.
I used the Boss rear camera that mounts behind the license plate. Pulled the license plate trim out, drilled it, made a rubber grommet and ran the video wire through it, and sealed it all with black RTV. TBH.. if I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten a camera with a threaded stud that I could have mounted to the upper corner of the trim.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
107 Posts

View attachment 59783
Just installed the BOSS ELPC40B (backup) camera in my 2006 last week.
The special RCA wire with the two pigtails will handle the video signal and the power. No need to tap into the tail lamps!
Use a butt connector to secure one pigtail to the radio head unit wire marked "reverse" and the pigtail in the tailgate to the power plug. Use your ohm meter on the camera power plug (in the picture, one is black and one is red) to determine in advance which wire is 'hot' and which needs to be connected to ground.
The RCA wire in the kit was plenty long (about 17-1/2 feet) if you follow it along with the main wiring harness from the tailgate all the way forward. Simply use a fish tape and a string.
Note: I had to remove the driver's seat and the seat over the fuse box.
The only place I couldn't follow the harness was at the tailgate grommet - it was too tight to add another wire, but, by being careful, I was able to pop it out, run the wire around the seal, and re-seal it.
Nice!
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
107 Posts

View attachment 59783
Just installed the BOSS ELPC40B (backup) camera in my 2006.
The RCA wire with the two pigtail will handle the power.
Connect one pigtail to the radio unit wire marked
Installed a Boss w/bu camera in my '06 TBSS a few months ago. Wasted a ton of time trying to ID a wire closer to the dash for the reverse signal. Finally bit the bullet and tapped into the tail light. To avoid popping all the trim, I ran the wires (video and BU) through the roof. Really wasn't hard. I took a 10' piece of 1/4 round molding, rounded one end, drilled a 3/16" hole in it, took the rear trim off and fished it to the driver's A pillar, then pulled a length of nylon cord back to the rear opening. Hardest part for me was getting the wires through the rubber boot from the body to the rear hatch.
I used the Boss rear camera that mounts behind the license plate. Pulled the license plate trim out, drilled it, made a rubber grommet and ran the video wire through it, and sealed it all with black RTV. TBH.. if I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten a camera with a threaded stud that I could have mounted to the upper corner of the trim.
For the rubber grommet in the new hole cut above the license plate, I purchased an assorment of vacuum plugs, cut one in half length-wise, stuffed tightly it in the hole and sealed it with super glue.

Also, my BOSS head unit: BE7ACP came with a "backup" power pigtail that supplied 12V when shifting to reverse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just installed the BOSS ELPC40B (backup) camera in my 2006.
The RCA wire with the two pigtail will handle the power.
Connect one pigtail to the radio unit wire marked

For the rubber grommet in the new hole cut above the license plate, I purchased an assorment of vacuum plugs, cut one in half length-wise, stuffed tightly it in the hole and sealed it with super glue.

Also, my BOSS head unit: BE7ACP came with a "backup" power pigtail that supplied 12V when shifting to reverse.
Okay cool. Mine probably does too. I’m new to all this.

·
Registered
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ 4.2 I6
11 Posts
I believe reverse wire on head unit is purple. I just ran backup camera as well 02' LTZ. Pulled liftgate interior panel ran camera wire through headliner to passenger side a pillar, used a 10' electrical fish tape. The new Kenwood DMX 125BT had the reverse wire built in, so really easy to get power. The two RCA's that plug in at the back do have a ground wire, scratched a little paint off liftgate and self-tapping screw. Works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts