Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 TB with the regular 4.2 VORTEC engine, the car has not been driven extensively and only has about 65,000 miles on it! Engine runs fine, however recently, I found three issues:

1. I have a P410 code which continuously Returns. Engnge Performance and Gas mileage are totally normal! Rarely it stays off for longer once you delete the code with your code reader. I understand, it is the secondary air injection. Does anyone know what is more common the issue; the secondary air pump itself or the check valve (engine compartment) ?? Air pump is quite costly!

2. I have a 128 code, which is supposed to be a Thermostat issue. However, engine reaches normal operating temperature, may take a Little longer then before. Is it mandatory to Change the Thermostat, Folks?

3. Now, it is getting more serious: I do have a whining noise inside when turning the steering wheel that became noticalbe in January. Full steering Support as before. The whining is not very loud but noticable and is totally independant from the rpms or Speed! It is associated by a vibrating feel as you are Holding the steering wheel and you may Think, the Vibration and whining Comes right out of the steering column. The whining and Vibration at the steering wheel are noticable when turning while driving or while the car idles, Problem remains at higer Speeds as well! Thought it was missing grease or a rubber O-ring or something else rubbing inside the steering -column, but Chevrolet can`t find anything wrong. However they did not disassemlbe the entire steering column either - they speculate on the the rack and pinion assembly. But that guess is too vague for me to replace the unit.
Again, it does not appear to be a Problem with the steering pump at all!

Does anybody have a clue where to look and what to look for.

4. I put in a brand new Instrument Cluster for a 2006 mode. Unit appears to work fine, but Needs to be programmed to my PCM! The GM facility used a Tech II and an MDI with the latest Software and after 80% of the programming, the whole prodedure terminates itself repeatedly! A VCI code is definitely not needed, and GM says, the 2006 Cluster should absolutely be no issue to program to a 2004 Trailblazer!
Does anybody know what the Problem is...????

5. The oil-pressure needle is beween midline and a Little beyond the mark midway to the far right Maximum oil pressure (that is 3/4), depending on if you idle or drive. The oil pressure needle may quickly go to the far right if you accelerate beyond for example, 60 mph, but then goes lower again. needle is in the midline when vehicle is idling, but goes up as you accelerate!
Is the oil pressure that labile as the gauge suggests or is there a Problem ??? Never watched the needle in the past! Is this normal???

Thanks for any ideas on my issues...
Cheers, :)
Lumina

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,325 Posts
1. The P0410 code could be the check valve or something as simple as water in the piping.

2. The P0128 code is an indication that the coolant is nor reaching proper operating temperature fast enough, that is usually a sign of a failing thermostat. this will also cause the PCM to run the engine richer until the right temperature is reached, Change the thermostat, and change the temp sensor as well while at it.

3. I have experienced the "whining" noise on my Voy as well, but I am not sure what is causing it. There is no indication of any steering issues.

4. I have no idea on this one, maybe the 2006 cluster is not compatible with the 2004 PCM.

5. The oil pressure indication on the 6 cylinder model is a number manufactured by the PCM. The oil pressure sensor is only an on/off switch. The PCM sets the gauge at mid point at idle speed and bumps it up a bit with an increase in RPMs. What you are seeing is completely normal.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks very much for your Support, it has been appreciated very much!
Thermostat has been replaced and everything is fine again, gas mileage got a Little better but this could be no more than a Feeling....

The squeak and "slight grinding Sensation" I did call a Vibration directly feelable at the steering wheel inside when turning is beeing discussed also on "chevroletforum.com/trailblazer-27/squeak-slight-grinding-sensation-felt....". The Problem is known for years by many TB owners and he replies, ist is no more than a rubber boot located where the steering column meets the floorboard".
User unfortunately does not talk about if you have free Access to that rubber boot that he cleaned and relubricated....

BEST REGARDS and again thanks for your Input,:):)

Klaus

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
210 Posts
Chris,

You will get more assistance if you start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum such as 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain or 02-09 Vortec 5.3L Engine and Drivetrain rather than asking at the end of a nearly 4 year old thread.

I do not have any advice on your repair request.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts