Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, some light bulbs have started to go out in my climate control area (fan knob, defrost knob, AC/Heat) as well as in my Radio. Does anyone know the part numbers for these bulbs? Or a specific place to get them? I’ve found bulbs for both my radio and my climate control area on carradiobulbs.com, but they are very expensive, and I’m sure that these bulbs can be bought somewhere else for cheaper.

On another note, does anyone have a diagram to distinguish the voltages of these bulbs in each area? I know that some bulbs are 12 volt, and some are 6 volt. Also, is there a diagram for which size bulbs go where in the climate control area? I believe some bulbs are 3mm and some are 4mm.

If anyone has any information, please share!! All information can be helpful. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
Yup --- those little buggers are pricy .... and even if you switch to LEDs --- they are either solder-in or on a circuit bulb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup --- those little buggers are pricy .... and even if you switch to LEDs --- they are either solder-in or on a circuit bulb.
I wasn’t planning on switching to LED’s, although Im perfectly fine with going that route if you know which bulbs I’d need and where they go. It sucks That they’re that expensive, it’s a bit discouraging as those bulbs aren’t exactly a necessity and they aren’t easy to replace. Soldering them in isn’t a big deal though, that’s easy.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
I foolishly went to a GM dealer and asked for the bulbs about which you have requested information ... and ....

I got told that there aren't any bulbs in there and if there WERE any bulbs in there that you hadda buy the whole (whatever), assembly they were in to get it to light up again.

If that parts manager had his Seeing Eye Dog with him --- service dog or not --- I might've been tempted to kick it for him.

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,001 Posts
One needs to first identify the bulbs and then conduct a search on websites such as digikey.com or mouser.com I found this out early when one or two of the light bulbs in the instrument cluster died. I asked my contact at the dealership that I used for warranty service and I was told that they simply replace the entire instrument cluster as individual bulbs are not available through them. Since I had to have some other work done, I went ahead and let them replace the instrument cluster.

Now, if I have any bulbs burn out, I will dismantle whatever needs the bulb, find a part number on it and then look at the major electronic wholesalers websites trying to find a replacement that I can replace the burned one(s) out with. The instrument panel is not a problem since there are a bunch of LED kits available online. However, the HVAC controller might be a whole different matter.

·
Registered
Trailblazer 2008 LTZ (4.2L) (Destroed) :(( Now Trailblazer SS (2006) AWD
315 Posts
Hello everyone, some light bulbs have started to go out in my climate control area (fan knob, defrost knob, AC/Heat) as well as in my Radio. Does anyone know the part numbers for these bulbs? Or a specific place to get them? I’ve found bulbs for both my radio and my climate control area on carradiobulbs.com, but they are very expensive, and I’m sure that these bulbs can be bought somewhere else for cheaper.

On another note, does anyone have a diagram to distinguish the voltages of these bulbs in each area? I know that some bulbs are 12 volt, and some are 6 volt. Also, is there a diagram for which size bulbs go where in the climate control area? I believe some bulbs are 3mm and some are 4mm.

If anyone has any information, please share!! All information can be helpful. Thanks!!
I bought these bulbs in some kind of radio store (those that are attached to the ruler) Unfortunately, I do not know their article number. I came with a sample and asked them to find me something similar to mine, and they offered me them. The only thing I remember is that the lamps are rated for 14V

Circuit component Body jewelry Ruler Passive circuit component Office ruler

Climate Control
Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic engineering Electronic component Gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I foolishly went to a GM dealer and asked for the bulbs about which you have requested information ... and ....

I got told that there aren't any bulbs in there and if there WERE any bulbs in there that you hadda buy the whole (whatever), assembly they were in to get it to light up again.

If that parts manager had his Seeing Eye Dog with him --- service dog or not --- I might've been tempted to kick it for him.
That truly doesn’t surprise me that a dealer wouldnt sell you the individual bulbs. Especially since they’re required to be soldered in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One needs to first identify the bulbs and then conduct a search on websites such as digikey.com or mouser.com I found this out early when one or two of the light bulbs in the instrument cluster died. I asked my contact at the dealership that I used for warranty service and I was told that they simply replace the entire instrument cluster as individual bulbs are not available through them. Since I had to have some other work done, I went ahead and let them replace the instrument cluster.

Now, if I have any bulbs burn out, I will dismantle whatever needs the bulb, find a part number on it and then look at the major electronic wholesalers websites trying to find a replacement that I can replace the burned one(s) out with. The instrument panel is not a problem since there are a bunch of LED kits available online. However, the HVAC controller might be a whole different matter.
That will likely be my next best option. Are DigiKey and Mouser reputable websites? I’ve never heard of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought these bulbs in some kind of radio store (those that are attached to the ruler) Unfortunately, I do not know their article number. I came with a sample and asked them to find me something similar to mine, and they offered me them. The only thing I remember is that the lamps are rated for 14V

View attachment 60146

Climate Control
View attachment 60147
So, those bulbs are rated for 14v, but does it matter if I put a 14v bulb where a 6v bulb should go? Im afraid that 6v won’t be able to light up a 14v bulb very well

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
I remember --- as a kid --- right after the dinosaurs all died off --- that I had some electric trains, and they needed some "Grain o' Wheat" or "Grain o' Rice" light bulbs that ran off track voltage --- which was variable between 4-12VAC -- and the bulbs didn't seem to care where the voltage was .......... they were all soldered in (hard wired, I later found pout was a better term).

Anyway --- I wonder if they are available yet. I mean --- they have dinosaurs in museums, so should there not be bulbs still available?

Found them!

Amazon.com: MP02W 100pcs 3mm Clear Miniature 12V 60mA Grain of Wheat Bulbs Warm White for Model Train Layout or Architectural Project : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

...read the QUESTIONS .......

·
Registered
2009 Trailblazer Lt
188 Posts
This place will redo the radio bulbs for you for $50. They also sell bulbs, so they should be able to tell you which ones you need. They do some climate controls, too, so they might be able to help you with those parts.

Did some more looking, do a search on the website for "Trailblazer" and you'll get everything they have for TBs.

https://carradiobulbs.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember --- as a kid --- right after the dinosaurs all died off --- that I had some electric trains, and they needed some "Grain o' Wheat" or "Grain o' Rice" light bulbs that ran off track voltage --- which was variable between 4-12VAC -- and the bulbs didn't seem to care where the voltage was .......... they were all soldered in (hard wired, I later found pout was a better term).

Anyway --- I wonder if they are available yet. I mean --- they have dinosaurs in museums, so should there not be bulbs still available?

Found them!

Amazon.com: MP02W 100pcs 3mm Clear Miniature 12V 60mA Grain of Wheat Bulbs Warm White for Model Train Layout or Architectural Project : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

...read the QUESTIONS .......
Thank you!! These look like an excellent option! The only issue I foresee is that I believe some of the lights within the climate control/radio are not only 3mm, but also 4 and 5mm. I’ll definitely look at these and consider them though!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This place will redo the radio bulbs for you for $50. They also sell bulbs, so they should be able to tell you which ones you need. They do some climate controls, too, so they might be able to help you with those parts.

Did some more looking, do a search on the website for "Trailblazer" and you'll get everything they have for TBs.

https://carradiobulbs.com/
Thank you, I’ve seen this website and I may very well go with them, but I doubt I’d pay for them to do the job for me. Thank you though!

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
303 Posts
I actually did the switch to LED on my 2002 Trailblazer due to some of the cluster bulbs being burned out. Ended up doing the cluster, the climate control, the headlight switch and fog light button, the 4WD switch, the rear wiper switch and the steering wheel controls. I pasted a link below with the bulbs I used and can attach some pictures of the end result if you're interested.

The main thing to remember is that LED bulbs are polarity specific. If they are reversed they won't light up. What I did was bring an LED to the truck, turned on the lights and touched the LED legs to the contact points for the light. Marked the positive side with a marker and made sure to solder the long leg of the LED into that spot. Worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
It seems to be so backwards to what my '86 K5 has --- fiber light optics circuits in that a central bulb is used and then plastic conduits brought light to a couple of areas that needed floodlight.

The ash tray was lit inside by a part of that lighting pathway and although I don't remember how bright it was when viewed in the dark --- well, I dunnow for sure if I noticed it at all.

To date, I've removed almost all of that stuff and added my own lighting --- especially the dash lighting --- which is blue LEDs.

But that fiber optics even existed in my '86 Chevy was kinda neat.

Oh .. yeah --- I once owned a 1956 Packard Patrician that, besides having such advanced things like push button grease-job lubrication, also had trays behind various switches and such on the dashboard that had a few light bulbs in them to fill that tray with bright light to flood the areas behind the switches to illuminate them at night.
That was a kinda-sortta-almost fiber optics system --- without the fibers.​
I think it was called "Light Guide Illumination" and Packard was 'way ahead of it's time.​

1 - 20 of 21 Posts