Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new user to this site and I'm a little confused so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. My question is... just recently my abs and brake lights have come on and stayed on. At the same time my heater was blowing at speed 3 and it just quit blowing. Speed 4 never worked but now none of them work. My grandpa and I disconnected the battery for a little while then when we reconnected it the lights went off and stayed off. But when I went to test my heater/air again, I turned it on speed 1, nothing happened with the blowing but then my abs and brake lights turned on again. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to go to the dealer because they always rip me off. Thank you.

Amber Adams

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
welcome Amber.

Sounds like your air not blowing is your resistor pack for the blower.
Its an easy fix and would run about $20-$30 if you do it yourself.

theres a how to around here somewhere...... lets see if anyone has the location handy....

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Your ABS/brake lights may be on because the hand brake is just a little applied. This normally causes a chime alarm to sound, so I may be leading you astray, but it's an easy check.

And, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
break light/abs light + heater

So do you think that there's any link to the abs and break lights going off with the heater being broken? It seems weird to me but it's happened twice when I tried to turn on my heater.

Amber:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
I can't see the two being directly related, but in electronics, anything is possible. I would get your codes pulled at your soonest opportunity and try to trigger the event while you get them read. That will tell you what the computer thinks is wrong with your car and can help you to narrow down your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where would i go to get my codes pulled??? Is it possible that if I don't get this fixed right now that it could cause a chain reaction and start messing up other things? This car is starting to get really expensive, really quickly.:(

thanks,
Amber

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If yout Service Engine Soon light is on, and I'm not sure you've said that it is, then you need to call around for an auto parts store that can do a "code read" for you. Many do this as a free service so you diagnose the problem and buy the parts you need from them. Many of us have shop manuals and can convert a code into a plan of troubleshooting.

But you may have something else like a flaky ground or a simple electrical problem. To avoid going to the dealer, there are a certain number of tools you need, and on the trailvoy platform, being heavily electronic, you will need a meter and somebody who knows how to use it.

Do you have a meter and such a person? If so, we can give you some hints.

But almsot surely you have a bad blower resistor module, which is a relatively cheap part and easy to change. Run a search here for "blower resistor" and read up.

What do you mean by "really expensive, really quickly"? Is this car new for you? Was it used? How much has it cost you so far? Did you get it cheap? What else do you know about the vehicle's history?

If your Service Engine Soon light is NOT on, you're not in danger of causing any damage while we help you work on this.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
The easiest thing is to take it to a dealer or shop and pay to have the code read. Not every shop has an ABS reader, but many do. Most OBDII code readers do not read ABS codes, but some shops have special ABS readers.

One common problem with the Trailblazer is the ignition switch, and this is one of the few common problems that will affect both the ABS and brake warning lights plus the HVAC blower motor. (Look for the U1041 to show up on the ABS code reader.)

The other common problem is two problems really. One is the blower resistor that can be easily replaced, plus an unrelated ABS problem such as a wheel speed sensor.

If the ABS codes come out as C0201, C0265 or U1041, then it illustrates a loss of communication or voltage to the electronic brake controller. If it is not the ignition switch, then a likely cause is a poor ground connection to the EBCM.

(This ground is very easy to get at; it is under the frame on the driver's side, just in front of the front door hinge. There is a single thick wire terminating in a ring connector and bolted to a short crossmember of the frame. Once you crawl underneath, it is easy to find just forward of the front door. As one can see, it is quite exposed to the elements, and can corrode easily. The solution is to unbolt the wire, use a whiz wheel to clean the connector and the area of the frame it bolts to, reinstall the bolt and then spray the area with some rubber undercoating.)

My money is on the ignition switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stalled out

Today my 2004 trailblazer was just idling in the drive way and decided to try and see if my air conditioner was still acting weird. So I turned on the air conditioner and the motor shuttered like it wanted to stall, then i left it running a little long and it did it a couple more times then stalled. This worries me but my grampa doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. Does anyone have any suggestions???:)

P.S Does anyone know of a good and honest mechanic in the orange county area in CA? I live in Chino Hills but I'm in OC quite often.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
frame ground affected both the ABS and brake warning lights plus the HVAC blower

Yesterday I was driving my 2002 Trailblazer and took a rest because of sudden heavy rain. I stopped the engine but restart soon to keep cold as it was very hot day. I found the ABS and brake warning lights plus the HVAC blower motor is not working. So I read owner's manual if the single fuse is for those two functions, but no such thing. A few minuites later suddenly the fan motor started.
This morning I serched the forum and found this thread. Then I tryed to motor on and found the problem happened again. So I serched the frame ground wire under the front door and unbolted and cleaned it with battery terminal off.
Bingo! The cause of the probrem is the common ground.
I think high humidity in Japan acceraleted the rust elec connection.
Chickenhawk, Thank you very much.:D

One common problem with the Trailblazer is the ignition switch, and this is one of the few common problems that will affect both the ABS and brake warning lights plus the HVAC blower motor. (Look for the U1041 to show up on the ABS code reader.)

The other common problem is two problems really. One is the blower resistor that can be easily replaced, plus an unrelated ABS problem such as a wheel speed sensor.

If the ABS codes come out as C0201, C0265 or U1041, then it illustrates a loss of communication or voltage to the electronic brake controller. If it is not the ignition switch, then a likely cause is a poor ground connection to the EBCM.

(This ground is very easy to get at; it is under the frame on the driver's side, just in front of the front door hinge. There is a single thick wire terminating in a ring connector and bolted to a short crossmember of the frame. Once you crawl underneath, it is easy to find just forward of the front door. As one can see, it is quite exposed to the elements, and can corrode easily. The solution is to unbolt the wire, use a whiz wheel to clean the connector and the area of the frame it bolts to, reinstall the bolt and then spray the area with some rubber undercoating.)

My money is on the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
abs and brake same time my heater was blowing

I'm a new user to this site and I'm a little confused so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. My question is... just recently my abs and brake lights have come on and stayed on. At the same time my heater was blowing at speed 3 and it just quit blowing. Speed 4 never worked but now none of them work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.