Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime during my most recent deployment to Afghanistan, my rear speakers stopped working. I'm not the most technically person when it comes to this stuff......I want to get the stock stereo and those two speakers replaced now. Nothin' fancy, just some speakers that sound decent and a stereo that I can run my Zune to.

I called a local installation place (for install estimates) and they asked a few questions that I don't know the answer to.

One of which involved a $120 wire harness that they said I need if I didn't have. Do I have one?

Also, since I'm not too technical on this stuff, what size rear door speakers should I get to replace the stock ones? I'll be purchasing them from my local post exchange and they're not the most helpful individuals there.....so they won't be able to tell me what fits in those doors and what doesn't fit.

I appreciate the help.

Later.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Do you have OnStar/Bose? If so you will need that module to retain your chimes and OnStar functions.

And as for the speakers they are a 6 3/4 hole that will fit 6 1/2 inch speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have OnStar/Bose? If so you will need that module to retain your chimes and OnStar functions.

And as for the speakers they are a 6 3/4 hole that will fit 6 1/2 inch speakers.
Nope, no OnStar/Bose.
look at this page it should help out alot with your question :http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=audioadapters

Also you may want to look in the audio & electronis section for more help or questions you have there probably answered there :)
Thanks to both of you for the help.

Later.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
AFAIK, only Bose systems have a separate amplifier.

I thought of something. If you have rear seat audio controls with headphone jacks, turning on that system mutes the rear seat speakers. If you have that option, turn it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AFAIK, only Bose systems have a separate amplifier.

I thought of something. If you have rear seat audio controls with headphone jacks, turning on that system mutes the rear seat speakers. If you have that option, turn it off.
No, no rear seat audio controls......oh well.

I looked under the drivers side rear seat, where a fuse box is, and there is something attached to it, made by Delphi, didn't see anything on the small box that would indicate that it's an amplifier though.......

If this is in fact the problem, an after market amp can be installed instead of going through the dealer/manufacturer correct?

Thanks for all of the help too.

Later.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
I had an 04 TB LS 2wd. I know it did NOT have an amp seperate from what is built in to the head unit. I would bet that the channel for the rear speakers in the head unit is bad, but it could also be broken wires.:cool:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
ok, first lets start with the root of the problem rather than just start throwing information at you willy nilly. lets start with why your speakers quit working, is it the speakers, radio or the wires? this is going to require some effort on your part so let's get to it. first get your trusty multi-meter out (if you don't have one go to sears now and buy one they are invaluable!!), take your rear door panels off and take out the speakers. test the speaker for ohm load, it should read 4 ohms nominal (a functioning speaker should read anywhere between 3 and 5 ohms). this is to check the voice coil of the speaker to see if it is still ok and not burned or otherwise damaged. if it reads too low or too high or not at all the speaker could be damaged. while the speakers are out you can also try the speaker pop test or hook them up to another system that you know works correctly. if the speaker works correctly put them back in and then we go onto step two. if not toss them, break out the check book, and buy some new speakers.

step two, take apart your dash so you can get to behind the radio. you are going to need to unplug the radio so i must warn you if you have the theftlock radio and it has a code entered then for the sweet love of christ have the unlock code otherwise the radio will be useless till you take it to the stealership and have them unlock it.

now we are going to test the speaker wires going from behind the radio to the speakers. the rear speaker wire colors should be.
left rear -brown +, yellow -
right rear- dark blue+, light blue-
set your multi-meter to ohms again and use the probes (i said probes:D) to test the speaker wire. just place the probes in the ends of the harness on the correct wire. if things are kosher then you will get a reading of 4 ohms nominal on your meter. if the meter cant get a reading the culprit is most likely a severed or grounded wire. start tracing the wires to the doors, check the harness plugs where they go into the door boot and every thing in between. to be honest i doubt it would be a grounded wire since grounding a speaker wire will make the radio go into protect mode and there would be no output on any channel. if everything reads ok then the problem is the radio, break out the check book and go shopping for a new one.

hopefully you have your radio working correctly again after all of this work, if not then go to a reputable shop and have them do a trouble shoot for you. yes you will have to pay for it but you will have a system that works correctly.

good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.