Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds crazy but my wifes 04 LS kills about twice a month in the hottest months of summer when sitting in traffic with the A/C on for past two years but runs fine every other time of the year. Got a code P0606 and brought it to local shop who says it's pointing to the pcm and that it might need to be reflashed at the dealer. Hate going to the dealer who would probably want to sell a new pcm, any input would be appreciated. Can a pcm malfunction only when the temp. is over 95 degrees?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
104 Posts
Since this happens intermittently, I am thinking it could be something along the lines of a loose connection somewhere.

I would start by 1st clearing the code (assuming you have your own code reader) and then with the engine running, AC on, emergency brake on, the tires blocked, and in gear, start wiggling the PCM connectors and see if the TrailBlazer dies and/or sets P0606 code. I would also try wiggling the connectors at the throttle body. If you get it die, then remove the connectors from the part where you were wiggling when it died and inspect for loose or broken wires, or corrosion, and then reconnect and make sure they are properly seated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since this happens intermittently, I am thinking it could be something along the lines of a loose connection somewhere.

I would start by 1st clearing the code (assuming you have your own code reader) and then with the engine running, AC on, emergency brake on, the tires blocked, and in gear, start wiggling the PCM connectors and see if the TrailBlazer dies and/or sets P0606 code. I would also try wiggling the connectors at the throttle body. If you get it die, then remove the connectors from the part where you were wiggling when it died and inspect for loose or broken wires, or corrosion, and then reconnect and make sure they are properly seated.

Good luck!
Thanks I'll give it a try it's driving me crazy since it only has been doing it under extremely hot days for the last 2 years and the rest of the time it runs great. At least I have a ways to go until July comes. Thanks again

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,247 Posts
First thing to do is clean the throttle body thoroughly front and back. Do a search for throttle body cleaning to find directions.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
43 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body as mentioned above will most likely solve the issue of stalling out while idling with ac on.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body does work good for fixing the AC on dying at idle problem. However, after cleaning mine before it worked, but idle was always slightly rough, but did not die. Since I have about 240,000 miles on my TB, and I started getting the die on idle with AC on problem again I replaced my throttle body. My TB now runs and idles fine with or without the AC on.

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
316 Posts
Mine does the same. Cleaned the TB seemed to help but after years, it still occasionally dies when idling with AC.

What happens is the engine rpms are just too low to keep going and it stalls out with the extra load from the ac when it cuts on. I think it's a borderline design flaw by having engine idle so low.

I've learned to recognize when it is about to happen and when it starts to putter out, keep foot on brake but give a quick tap of gas to rev the engine and it keeps it from stalling. Not as good as a fix but maybe helps...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
43 Posts
I have almost 200k on my 05 envoy and have owned it since 45k. I had the stalling out issue only once and removing the throttle body and cleaning it really well worked for me. I've cleaned it maybe 3 times total (1 was needed 2 as preventative maintenence) so maybe i have been lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have almost 200k on my 05 envoy and have owned it since 45k. I had the stalling out issue only once and removing the throttle body and cleaning it really well worked for me. I've cleaned it maybe 3 times total (1 was needed 2 as preventative maintenence) so maybe i have been lucky.
Yep very lucky! I hope to clean the TB this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,247 Posts
On these engines, it is advisable to clean the throttle body every 10K to 15K miles. This due to the type of PCV system it has. Also make sure to disconnect the battery or pull fuses #10 & 28 in the underhood fusebox for about 30 minutes, to reset the PCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On these engines, it is advisable to clean the throttle body every 10K to 15K miles. This due to the type of PCV system it has. Also make sure to disconnect the battery or pull fuses #10 & 28 in the underhood fusebox for about 30 minutes, to reset the PCM.
Should I disconnect the battery for the 30 minutes before or after the cleaning is done?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Usually cleaning works. I think mine just had a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for helping with this issue, I took the TB off yesterday and did a good cleaning and removed #10 and #28 fuse for 30 min. to reset the pcm and with the A/C on the idle barely drops down. I was thinking about cleaning it without removing it but it would have been harder to get the crud off of the backside with it on that it probably might not have that much of an improvement so I highly suggest that in order to get the results that you want it must be totally removed and cleaned correctly. It will get it's real test come June when the 95 degrees settles in but I don't thing that temperature has anything to do with it but the wifey says different and of course they everything about everything.
Thanks guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts