Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the truck, I thought the washer fluid motors were broke. I just popped open the fuse box to replace the cigar lighter fuse and noticed the washer fluid fuse just sitting there. I plugged it in, and the sprayer just runs. Even with the keys out of the ignition.
many ideas??

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
Not sure which sprayer you are having issue with as there could be 3 relays of which one is stuck closed.
If you replaced the fuse that completes the relay circuit and it is # 9 fuse under the hood that would be the ( Windshield sprayer ) w / relay # 42
If it was # 7 fuse which controls the relay # 37 ( Headlamp washer option ) and / or the # 38 relay ( Rear washer spray )
Assuming the Ext model is not different than the base model wiring all numbers should be good.
Remove the relay # that pertains to the washer sprayer of issue and swap with a similar relay to test and confirm its defective.
Fyi all the relays are Hot at all times even with key Off. > edited >( With potential of completing Power to a Circuit but only when the coil is Activated which pulls the internal switches and Directs the Power through the Relay to the Device )
But if a relay is closed with key Off it is the relay completing the circuit which what you are having.
Now if the key was On and it was acting the way ( spraying constantly ) it is but stop when key is Off it would be the switch being the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure which sprayer you are having issue with as there could be 3 relays of which one is stuck closed.
If you replaced the fuse that completes the relay circuit and it is # 9 fuse under the hood that would be the ( Windshield sprayer ) w / relay # 42
If it was # 7 fuse which controls the relay # 37 ( Headlamp washer option ) and / or the # 38 relay ( Rear washer spray )
Assuming the Ext model is not different than the base model wiring all numbers should be good.
Remove the relay # that pertains to the washer sprayer of issue and swap with a similar relay to test and confirm its defective.
Fyi all the relays are Hot at all times even with key Off.
But if a relay is closed with key Off it is the relay completing the circuit which what you are having.
Now if the key was On and it was acting the way ( spraying constantly ) it is but stop when key is Off it would be the switch being the problem.
it is definitely the relay for just the front windshield sprayer! Is there a way of testing the relay/fuse , or should I just replace and try that? How would I test the switch inside the car? The wipers still work fine.
ooh! I know! I have my moms trailblazer right now too! I willswap it with hers to see if it does the same or stops!

thanks for the reply! I forgot about this thread . You know quarantine and all ?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
it is definitely the relay for just the front windshield sprayer!

Yes, its the only draw one on that relay.

I will swap it with hers to see if it does the same or stops!
That`s the easiest and best way to check if its defective.

The wipers still work fine.
That`s on a different Circuit .

There is a way to test it with a meter and a 12 volt power source so if you have the tools to perform that and can read the schematic layout of the relay then its not difficult to test.

** Note if the relay swap fixes your sprayer then make sure the replacement Relay is the correct application for the Windshield as the Relay is specific. The Windshield Washer is a different Relay than the other Sprayers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts