Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so let me explain the situation:

My boyfriend's truck is a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT with a 6-cyclinder engine and a 4x4. The engine light would come and go so we didn't think anything of it till we tried to run it through emissions and they failed it because the check engine light was on.

So I used my code reader and at first we just had P0105 and P0107 so I replaced the MAP sensor and reset the codes and probably went four days and my boyfriend was a block from the emission station and the light came back on. So I then checked it again and it was bringing the P0126 so I started checking everything and called a tech at the emissions station and he stated that it was the thermostat, which I must say is a VERY difficult part to replace because of where it is positioned. I am use to old cars and seeing everything in the engine and no sensors so working on computer sensored cars is a little new to me.

We replaced the thermostat yesterday and at first the codes went away and then the engine died. I tried turning it on again and in order to keep the engine going, I had to keep my foot on the gas. Someone told me that there was a sensor lose, but I double checked everything this afternoon and I had the radio and Heat/Air system off and was running fine. So I left it running for a while and then turned the radio on and seems to do okay with that and then I turned the heat on and it killed the engine. I checked the codes again and it still has the P0106 and two different errors with that code. I am at a lost for words and rather aggrivated with new cars at this point. :mad:

HELPPPPP...anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem?????????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated being that I don't want my boyfriend to have to spend $$$ in labor to get this fixed.

Please reply as soon as possible! Thanks! :thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You need to clean the throttle body. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=51619

If the engine idles badly or stumble when you turn on the A/C, defroster, or (sometimes even the heater) it is usually a sign the t-body is gunked-up.

When you changed the t-stat, you disconnected the battery? That caused the PCM to reset to factory settings and tried to run the engine as though the t-body was clean. Many of the forum members clean the t-body every 30k miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information...but the link you posted has no working pictures. Is there a link to cleaning it with pictures?

Yes, I did disconnect the battery. I just can figure out why it why it didn't do this before. Will this fix the problem with the map sensor as well?

Also, since this reset the PCM back to factory state, after I get the engine running smoothly and everytime I turn the ignition, what do I need to do to get it back to "readyiness" to have enough data to pass emissions?

I do want to thank you for your help...my specialty is cars without computers like a old Jeep Wrangler and I can work on them in a heart beat but this just frustrates me to no end sometimes (after all this, I think the next car I get is going to be an old one again).

Kimberly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess let me ask this, will cleaning the throttle body fix the P0106 code which keeps popping up because that is still showing up as a code? If not, what could be the cause of this code since I have replaced the MAP sensor. I have thought about putting the old sensor back in to see what that would do.

Going to clean the throttle body tomorrow because its suppose to be warmer.

Let ya'll know what happens.

Kimberly

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
19 Posts
2004 Envoy P0106

Well! Thanks to all for the input. From all the picture that I have seen .... I think I had the dirtiest looking throttle body of all! It's not a contest after 218,000 Kilometers. I changed the Spark Plugs as well. Men she run smooth now.
Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts