Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The 5 Liter Ford Corporate engines were notorious for this kinda of deposit too. They had a "2-hump" oil pan in which the tie rod passed so close to the pan that the engineers put a notch in the pan.

Unfortunately, that made it really complicate to change the oil in the bump where the oil was hidden ---- so --->

THE BRIGHT ENGINEERS AT FORD put a second oil pan plug in it because turning the vehicle upside-down just to drain the oil didn't appear to be a good option - not that the customer would understand it anyway!

Sadly, quickie oil change shops didn't want to drain the engine twice, so they just ignored the second plug and the customer got 1.75 quarts of oil every time.

After doing this a few times, the unchanged oil turned into overcooked molasses and even if you stuck your finger in the drain hole, nothing came out. Usually the first symptom was a total loss of oil pressure and if the customer actually paid attention to the red light, they'd stop and get towed.

But the oil pump drive shaft by Ford was only 1/4" hex drive and it couldn't take all the pressure so it tended to wind itself up around the camshaft and then there was trouble --- bigtime!

So, you see: the top of the engine was hot, there wasn't enough oil to cool things and the deposits crystallized there, but in the pan was a whole different pudding-story!

Gawd --- I loved dem Fords!

Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Mo' money!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Yea my uncle has a 5.4 runs terrible with all problems described… and my dad has a 4.6 runs pretty good but I’m not a fan of either. I always watch my gauges full time and keep a good ear out for noises. Hopefully this ole Chevy will pull through for me without too many issues concerning this sludge..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea my uncle has a 5.4 runs terrible with all problems described… and my dad has a 4.6 runs pretty good but I’m not a fan of either. I always watch my gauges full time and keep a good ear out for noises. Hopefully this ole Chevy will pull through for me without too many issues concerning this sludge..
Ok, so any progress ? I have a 04 TB w/P0016 the only other Non-code (evap sys leak test failed) but no indication of if there is a leak or if the system test is not working, I did the seafoam down the tube a few times but still no suction . My next step is to have a shop put a scope on it &/or re-program-re-learn ? There doesnt seem to be any other issue the engine runs fine I did replace the Trans w/a "re-conditioned" one (here in Cali things are expensive if you can find them). But it starts fine runs great , most things Ive read say it shouldnt run good or hard start w/P0016. but that isnt the case w/mine. I do need it to pass Cali smog, got this at an auction and Cal DMV wont even give me a title til it passes but that is a whole other stupid thing about Ca DMV don't get me started. Did you git the P0016 issue fixed what else did you do or could it be? thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Well I’m still having issues just hit my 500 mile mark last night with this gram 5w30 and I got to say there’s a noticeable improvement she’s getting better gas mileage, shifting smoother and idleing a lot smoother as well. The oil is very nasty at 500 miles but I can see a lot of sludge cleaning off the cam caps I’m just gonna keep changing my oil every 500 miles and do the Berryman’s every day as I have been.
And for clydebman it takes patients and if your moter hasn’t jumped time is it full of sludge? If so have you done anything to clean / prevent it from happening.I’ve been at this for 3 months now and the improvements are slow but mine is definitely getting better.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hey Clyde ....... First ... I never said to use Seafoam. Seafoam is to clean injectors from the inside ... in the fuel .... and is not aggressive enough for this job.

Use BERRYMAN'S B-12, a capful at a time in a warm engine. That information is in my video.

As a retired CalEPA CARB-BAR certified Brake/Lamp/Smog Inspector-Adjuster-Installer and mechanic, I'll remind you that your vehicle is only being brought kicking and screaming to Federal EPA standards.

California just enforces the law that every vehicle should be inspected for in all the other 48 contiguous states.

If you want tougher restrictions, move to New Jersey or Massachusetts or New York.

Some states don't inspect, some even have Safety Inspections too ... so quit complaining.

You reside there and that you are required to be inspected is contingent upon living there and if you don't like it.... move.

But don't deride the system ... change it if you can (you can't) or work with it.

EDITED @ 1930, MST 01-14-22 because I was tapping my fingers on a make-believe keyboard as my tablet was sitting on the spokes of my steering wheel, me driving at 80 MPH on Hwy90 coming through Missoula --- so there were typos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I’m still having issues just hit my 500 mile mark last night with this gram 5w30 and I got to say there’s a noticeable improvement she’s getting better gas mileage, shifting smoother and idleing a lot smoother as well. The oil is very nasty at 500 miles but I can see a lot of sludge cleaning off the cam caps I’m just gonna keep changing my oil every 500 miles and do the Berryman’s every day as I have been.
And for clydebman it takes patients and if your moter hasn’t jumped time is it full of sludge? If so have you done anything to clean / prevent it from happening.I’ve been at this for 3 months now and the improvements are slow but mine is definitely getting better.
Thanks for the reply, & info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Clyde ....... First ... I never said to use Seafoam. Seafoam is to clean injectors from the inside ... in the fuel .... and is not aggressive enough for this job.

Use BERRYMAN'S B-12, a capful at a time in a warm engine. That information is in my video.

As a retired CalEPA CARB-BAR certified Brake/Lamp/Smog Inspector-Adjuster-Installer and mechanic, I'll remind you that your vehicle is only being brought kicking and screaming to Federal EPA standards.

California just enforces the law that every vehicle should be inspected for in all the other 48 contiguous states.

If you want tougher restrictions, move to New Jersey or Massachusetts or New York.

Some states don't inspect, some even have Safety Inspections too ... so quit complaining.

You reside there and that you are required to be inspected is contingent upon living there and if you don't like it.... move.

But don't deride the system ... change it if you can (you can't) or work with it.

EDITED @ 1930, MST 01-14-22 because I was tapping my fingers on a make-believe keyboard as my tablet was sitting on the spokes of my steering wheel, me driving at 80 MPH on Hwy90 coming through Missoula --- so there were typos.
Thank you for the info. Berrymans B-12, I will git some, (I just happend to have Sea foam ) You are correct Sea Foam not agressive enough, well it sure doesnt seem to have done any thing. I do appreciate any help, suggestions, pointers, from folks with your knowledge & experience., I did change oil & filter as well as a bad (cracked and leaky) oil pressure sensor Though the oil wasnt burnt or sludgie. Since I dont know what the condition of the vvt is' I will check that out before I buy a new one, inspecting that may tell me if there is/ was more sludge than I thought. So thanks again.

I dont have anything against the smog inspectors or inspections, I lived here in the '70s when we couldn't see mountains 2 mi. from the house, & there was acid rain ect,... But DMV could give me a title since I paid for it, registration and all penalties for the previous owner, then I'd have a choice to sell the vehicle. But the extra form with out a real title would limit how many folks would bother even looking at it. That's all I'm saying.
. .

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thank you for the info. Berrymans B-12, I will git some, (I just happend to have Sea foam ) You are correct Sea Foam not agressive enough, well it sure doesnt seem to have done any thing. I do appreciate any help, suggestions, pointers, from folks with your knowledge & experience., I did change oil & filter as well as a bad (cracked and leaky) oil pressure sensor Though the oil wasnt burnt or sludgie. Since I dont know what the condition of the vvt is' I will check that out before I buy a new one, inspecting that may tell me if there is/ was more sludge than I thought. So thanks again.

I dont have anything against the smog inspectors or inspections, I lived here in the '70s when we couldn't see mountains 2 mi. from the house, & there was acid rain ect,... But DMV could give me a title since I paid for it, registration and all penalties for the previous owner, then I'd have a choice to sell the vehicle. But the extra form with out a real title would limit how many folks would bother even looking at it. That's all I'm saying.
. .
OK --- no foul .... the thing you DON'T want to do is wind up in The Gross Polluter's Act and then you're really gonna hate yourself!

I had lived in SoCal since July 1962 and I saw the air turn brown, then dark brown then smoky gray and my eyes watered just like they do now in Smog Lake City, Utah.

I had my Smog Inspector's-Installer/Adjuster license in 1964 and was the 13th licensee in that field - installing KV (Crankcase) ventilation kits on open crank systems.

Every little advance in emission control brought cleaner and better skies and breathing conditions --- but now there are just TMP-TMC (too many people - too many cars) and the testing-enforcement system is busted with overflow vehicles --- cleaner, but in toto, dirtier by sheer numbers of them.

So -- I kinda side with you ..... kinda don't .... because air that is breathable is why I left SoCal for clean air and blue sky. I feel I would still be there - albeit rather broke-r and less happy with all my surfing spots full of people who just want to find a 3'x3' spot to put their butt down in the sand and are still looking for it.

The trash, the crowds and graffiti and dead cars and street campers and taxes and taxes and taxes and the cost of gasoline and the firearm control and ---- just too much of everything.

I miss my yachts in Dana and Newport and my "secret" surfing spots and walking on the beach without body armor and armed guards - etc ..... and deep sea fishing and trout in The High Sierras and camping in El Refugio and Joshua Tree and the great bars in Pioneer Town and all that --- but I'd be dead if I still lived there.

A live surfer is better than a dead dog --- to borrow a phrase from a famous book.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
so I pulled out the vvt and the screens were broke, crinkled up, the few holes that did have screen material over them were clogged, so I did buy a new one, as installation states for warrentee ( Im guessing) I changed oil & filter.I cleared the code started it made sure that there was no indicated , the mil not on , so I turned it off to check & fill oil to to stick marks. start it again (which still starts easy, and revs fine ) no chk eng lit. so as I back out of the drive way put in D start to go fwrd, there comes the chk eng lit, I look at the reader and it is the P0016, I don't yet have a bluetooth app bi-directional nor the one that can read the sign wave pulses. so the B-12 is what i'll continue tomarrow,.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts