Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought it a few month ago with this code and it was misfiring bad I fixed the misfire hasn’t done it since the first drive. But she is still very sluggish with the p0016 code. There’s 0 engine noise also the cat was punched out when I bought it . The oil is kinda sludgy gonna change it again tomorrow but the motor sounds too good to be hurt, I pulled the cpas out already it looks to be replaced and or brand new and very clean I’ve tried everything. Also when it’s cold on startup it has a little power but once she warms up she’s a slug.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
P0016 - as you know - has to do with the Cam Position Sensor. It may or may not be the whole story though.

It could be the sensor itself, bad wiring or a correlation with the Crank Position Sensor.

Obviously, "everything" has not been tried because the problem comes from somewhere.

Talk about the "sludgy oil" first and then tell me if you changed any other parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought the truck and currently own 3 so I haven’t been able to dump money into it other than clutch fan ,water pump, 2 oil changes , fender and front clip plus tires . Obviously everything wasn’t tried yet as I have my family to tend to but any help is greatly appreciated on where to start or what to do.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,685 Posts
I am a firm believer in data acquisition and diagnostics. This P0016 code sets when the exhaust camshaft timing adjustment has been commanded to 0 by the PCM for 16 seconds and the resulting camshaft to crankshaft relationship is out of spec. I would observe the camshaft position to see if it is doing what it is asked to do, returning to zero. Or is it stuck somewhere other than zero. This does not demand an expensive scantool, can be done for under $20 with a good bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a good android app. Here we have the Car Scanner app with my TrailBlazer specific setup imported displaying the camshaft commanded position vs the actual position as well as the duty cycle of the solenoid.

Azure Rectangle Slope Plot Font

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,685 Posts
So would this equate to timing chain stretch and causing the truck to jump time off by a tooth or something?
IF... The cam phaser has truly returned to it's zero position, and IF the crankshaft position sensor hasn't drifted out of range and a position relearn doesn't clear up anything, then MAYBE it's a timing chain issue. This engine timing chain does have a tensioner, I don't personally know if the chain could stretch so much as to be beyond the ability of the tensioner to keep it in line.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
So would this equate to timing chain stretch and causing the truck to jump time off by a tooth or something?
Yeah - like TJ said - but don't go there yet.

Timing chains stretching that much is almost a non-event. Spend your time and resources on things that really might be bad.

.... still waiting for the sludgy oil info first ................ that means something ..... and can be related to your cam position problem ......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She’s got about 235xxx plus miles , and when I got it she sat up for about 5 years, and under the oil fill cap looked horrible. I’m gonna do a flush probably tomorrow afternoon or so it just really worry’s me my other Tb is down right now and this is my only ride. I don’t wanna blow this transmission out just because of a engine issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve already done a full coolant flush and replaced the water pump and clutch fan. I gotta motor medic engine flush I bought for this next oil change but I’m skeptical of it I’ve never used a flush, usually a few ozs of sea foam or marvel. Never have any problems in my 2002 Tb but this one I just got is no bueno. Transmission has had a fluid change as well but does need another. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That yuck you have in the oil and under the 710 cap is likely from condensate formed in the crankcase because of a non-op PCV system ..... it WILL affect your cam position device ... (the part that actually moves the exhaust cam advance/retard) .... thusly, the P0016

Time for another video .......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of that makes sense yes but there’s no gunk as y’all say under my cap or and milkshake ,it’s just a hard thick deposit from no oil changes and sitting 5 years.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,610 Posts
I would hold off on the motor flush. First clean the PCV system as described in the video, then get some SuperTech 5W30 at Walmart, and a filter of your choice and perform several 500 - 1000 mile oil changes. You want to gently remove the gunk from the engine and not shock it by using the Motor Medic Engine Flush.

Today's motor oils are so much better than motor oils of 10 years ago, and detergency is one of the areas that has really improved by leaps and bounds.

The only reason why I specify SuperTech is because it is relatively inexpensive and it is a very good oil in terms of today's motor oil specifications.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just picked up some fram 5w30 and a oem filter this will be the third time changing it. Ima hold off on the flush I bought. Just worries me so much with only having this as my transportation right now and no knowing what’s going on with it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You are going to need to drive that stuff off. Only other way would be to remove the valve cover and scrape it off and then drop the oil pan and do the same. Go with the short mileage oil and filter changes - a lot easier and less likely to break anything.

By the way, Fram oil is a good oil too. It's blended for Advance Auto Parts/Carquest by Amalie Oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks man I’m gonna try that that’s been my plan. I just hope it isn’t anything to do with timing. I don’t mind tearing into the motor and learning I just don’t wanna tear it up if it is outta time but it fires right up every time .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just drive it clean and if you are lucky, the P0016 will go away in short order if the problem is oil related.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alrighty I’ll keep y’all updated ima pull the intake and valve cover to check it out once I buy new gaskets. Also forgot to mention but I bought this truck and the cat was already gutted out when I got it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts