Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2004 blazer and my tailgait just locked up... so far no furthe problems... would just like it to open again... any advice?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There's an emergency mechanical procedure in the Owner's Manual to unlatch it from the inside.

Then the typical problem is flexed wires breaking internally (inside the insulation) at the hinge line, inside a weather-resistant boot.

Also check rear fuse block fuse #3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried the emergency unlock from the manual. but i cant get to the glass hatch hole. and as for the other stuff i wouldnt even know where to start.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
not sure what the manual says, but if you pop off that rear plastic piece, i think its all clips and one hex screw or regular screw forgot, anyway it will all become clear and you will be able to open it

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
the rods and such are quite self explanatory, i guess of course unless your lock selenoid or w/e, which will still be probably pretty self explanatory. I had everything out of the hatch, and the hatch off the car when i had to get it all re done after my trailer bounced up and shot thru my back window the second week i had the truck =[, either way if you can manage to get the plastic off, and take some pix someone can probably guide you through the necessary steps
AT LEAST you'll be able to open it for the time being, does the window OR the hatch work? either?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
2005 Envoy XUV (Tailgate & Swing Gate not working)

After reading the posts in this thread I don't know mine is is the same problem or not... My 2005 Envoy XUV tailgate just stopped working this last week. A few days later, the swing gate stopped working too.

The window still goes up and down but even with the manual eject button (inside the cargo area) I can't seem to get the door/tailgate to open.

I checked (both) fuse boxes and found no open circuts... Am I wrong to suspect the door switches? Or is this likely a wire fatigue problem as in the previous posts? It really hasn't had that much use...

Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I think we've heard that the XUV is going to be a maintenance nightmare more and more as time goes on because of the switches.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
[It is most likely the switches. You may be able to remove them externally by removing the screws above the licese plate and fishing them out. Otherwise you'll have to remove the inner panel and disconnect the wire connectors. Then remove the connector and inspect the switch. If you see a lime green material on the surface ithe copper circuit is corroded through and is most likely defective. A simple continuity test on the two pins will tell you. Open circuit when the pad is not depressed and a closed circuit when it is depressed is normal operation. ] After reading the posts in this thread I don't know mine is is the same problem or not... My 2005 Envoy XUV tailgate just stopped working this last week. A few days later, the swing gate stopped working too.

The window still goes up and down but even with the manual eject button (inside the cargo area) I can't seem to get the door/tailgate to open.

I checked (both) fuse boxes and found no open circuts... Am I wrong to suspect the door switches? Or is this likely a wire fatigue problem as in the previous posts? It really hasn't had that much use...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
It is most likely the switches. You may be able to remove them externally by removing the screws above the licese plate and fishing them out. Otherwise you'll have to remove the inner panel and disconnect the wire connectors. Then remove the connector and inspect the switch. If you see a lime green material on the surface ithe copper circuit is corroded through and is most likely defective. A simple continuity test on the two pins will tell you. Open circuit when the pad is not depressed and a closed circuit when it is depressed is normal operation.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
It turns out, the switches are the defective component. Replaced them and all is working fine now.

I originally suspected a switch failure but had never experienced the sequencial failing of of electronic systems one after another with a slight delay in between...

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
It turns out, the switches are the defective component. Replaced them and all is working fine now.

I originally suspected a switch failure but had never experienced the sequencial failing of of electronic systems one after another with a slight delay in between...

Thanks for all the feedback.
:thumbsup:Were You able to remove them from outside of the tailgate?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
6 Posts
Unfortunately not. I had the vehicle being serviced for an unrelated matter and the dealer was able to replace the switches at the same time. I am fairly certain the access was obtained through the interior tailgate pannel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts