Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today and all of a sudden it was like I put the transmission in neutral. None of the gears work D 1 2 3 R. The only thing that seems to work is Park.
any idea what would cause this?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
i wonder if your sunshell desintigrated.
ANy other sounds or symptoms before it stopped working

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Either something very simple or very bad. Any lights come on before it happened. How was it working before this occurred?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Info

I had an intermittent P0105(manifold absolute pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction error...I had just found this site the night before and found directions on how to clean the throttle body (thanks) to fix this.
It was running fine no problems what so ever. I was crusing along and it just acted like it popped into neutral. I have it at the shop now, I will post back when I get a diagnosis.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Might want to check the shift linkage cable. It would make sense if one of the gears were out..but all of them? Does the gauge cluster show what position the shifter is in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes

Might want to check the shift linkage cable. It would make sense if one of the gears were out..but all of them? Does the gauge cluster show what position the shifter is in?

Yes the gauge shows the position. You can shift D 3 2 1 visually on the gauge but the transmission appears to be in neutral in all except Park.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
This might seem stupidly simple, but the transfer case isn't in neutral is it? Maybe it got switched accidentally? Also, please fill out your info so we know what kind of truck you have.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This might seem stupidly simple, but the transfer case isn't in neutral is it? Maybe it got switched accidentally? Also, please fill out your info so we know what kind of truck you have.:thumbsup:
If the tc is in neutral park will have no effect, and he said park works. Good thought though.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
If the tc is in neutral park will have no effect, and he said park works. Good thought though.
:iagree:, but if it's setting in a level driveway or garage, he might just think it's in park...don't push on it:crackup:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Or get out and walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
usually one of the gears goes suddenly.
Like mine at 77K.
coming down a hill- RPM's suddenly revved to 4 or 5K.
I then found I no longer had 3rd gear.
1,2,R, P were great.
Turned out the 3rd gear clutch/bands had to be replaced.

But odd that ALL suddenly went out.
Maybe theres an internal pump that is not pumping fluid anymore?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Park Works

Park definately works and I can shift into all the other gears according to the gage..but it is not really shifting into the gears as soon as its taken out of park its in neutral.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
If that's the case, then I'm inclined to agree with rbarrios. Your front pump may have went out. No leaks? Have you checked the fluid level? If you were going down the road and it just "popped" into neutral, and you didn't hear any bad noises, I'm slightly puzzled. Usually when something mechanically goes wrong inside you'd hear it. It could still be transfer case related, especially since all gears suddenly aren't working.:undecided

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No Leaks

If that's the case, then I'm inclined to agree with rbarrios. Your front pump may have went out. No leaks? Have you checked the fluid level? If you were going down the road and it just "popped" into neutral, and you didn't hear any bad noises, I'm slightly puzzled. Usually when something mechanically goes wrong inside you'd hear it. It could still be transfer case related, especially since all gears suddenly aren't working.:undecided
The first thing I checked was the fluid level, it was ok. Crawled under and could see no signs of any leaks. Hopefully will know more in the next cple days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Torch converter and pump

It looks like something went back inside the torque converter putting metal shavings into the pump. Replacing torch converter as well as the pump. Anyone know how much these 2 parts should cost?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
It looks like something went back inside the torque converter putting metal shavings into the pump. Replacing torch converter as well as the pump. Anyone know how much these 2 parts should cost?
Are you at the dealership? If so, it's hard telling. The whole tranny could be rebuilt (including remove and install) for about 1500 at a tranny shop. I just had a friends 4L60E rebuilt for 1k, but it was in a 99 Blazer. Same trans though. Torque Converters are usually a couple hundred bucks, not sure about the pump.:m2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did anything ever come of this? I'm about to buy a '03 TB with the exact same problem. If it's something simple it would save me a ton of time! :thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2005 trailblazer is having the same problem with it seems like its in neutral unless it's in park. Problem happened with no warning signs and no noise

1 - 20 of 27 Posts