Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this whole website and I just bought a 2003 trailblazer LS a few months ago. It has many problems with it because it sat in someone's yard for 4 years and the lady that owned it before took horrible care of it but a vehicle is a vehicle so I'm happy with it. Anywho, the most annoying problems are the back lift gate handle is broken internally and the keyless entry doesn't work. I took off the trim on the inside to look at the lock and it's completely rusted and busted. There's some wires in there with it that I assume are for the lock. I was wondering if that had anything to do with the keyless entry not working. I heard that there's a keyless entry module on the hatch too. However all the other stuff on the hatch works fine like the license plate lights and wiper. Any advice would be great and much appreciated. Sorry for such a long explanation.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,203 Posts
The Liftgate Module (LGM) is part of the keyless entry system. Also, sometimes wires in the harness that goes between the liftgate and the body break in the area of the of the rubber boot at the top of the liftgate.
Have you tried reprogramming the FOB? Do a search for FOB programming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Liftgate Module (LGM) is part of the keyless entry system. Also, sometimes wires in the harness that goes between the liftgate and the body break in the area of the of the rubber boot at the top of the liftgate.
Have you tried reprogramming the FOB? Do a search for FOB programming.
I've tried programming multiple remotes recently. It goes into program mode and then without me touching anything, a second later it exits programing mode. I'll go look at the wires today. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer 4x4, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
33 Posts
Did you test the continuity of the wires? Looks can be deceiving. With the wire insulation, the wire internally may be broken with the insulation looking fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you test the continuity of the wires? Looks can be deceiving. With the wire insulation, the wire internally may be broken with the insulation looking fine.
I don't have any of the tools to so I'll have to get back to you on that

·
Registered
33 Posts
A simple multimeter will suffice, easily and inexpensively available from Harbor Freight or even Amazon.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
A simple multimeter will suffice, easily and inexpensively available from Harbor Freight or even Amazon.
Actually, the poor man's way to test the wires going from liftgate to body is to expose the insulated wires and pull one by one from each end. The one with broken wire will stretch the insulation (probably pull apart) and that is your broken one needing spliced. I found one of the orange ones broken on my '02 Envoy. Not fun area to work and reseal but it is doable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So after doing more research (which I should've done beforehand), I called the dealership and they said that mine doesn't come with keyless entry. Onto the next step, anyone know how much it will cost to add keyless entry? Or where's the best place to get it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm writing this with zero actual knowledge of your situation, but my answer is based on other vehicles. Take this info with a major grain of salt: If your car doesn't have the wiring for the keypad then it will be difficult to install. See if you can find a wiring diagram for a keypad vs. non-keypad TB and compare the two. That will help in your research as to whether or not you can easily do this mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts