Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved 2003 Trailblazer EXT, 4x4 V-8 has been deemed no longer safe to drive. While fixing a fuel leak requiring fuel tank removal, I found significant frame damage from rust. It runs and drives great with the addition of a new fuel pump. I don't have the time to part it out, but would like to see the remaining parts put to good use.

V8 with 259,xxx miles. All major drivetrain parts are original. Mobil 5W30 synthetic and Delco filters changed religiously every 5000 miles. Transmission pan dropped and filter changed every 25000 miles. One owner.

I'd like to get $1500 for it in as is condition. Or $2,000 and I'll put a new fuel pump in it so it can be driven. Drive at your own risk!

The body is surprisingly rust free. Just a hint of rust on the bottoms of the doors.

I can add more pictures if you are serious. The paint still shines nicely when clean and dry. Garage kept for all but the last 2 years.

Located near Cincinnati, OH.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
86 Posts
DAMMMMMMN that frame rust is no joke, I wasn't expecting that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I didn't see any response here and only got insane advice about welding in a patch (weld to what?) on Facebook, the Trailblazer went to the local salvage yard. It is my opinion the the idiot engineers didn't leave enough air gap between the frame and the tank. As a result debris and moisture were trapped between the tank and frame rail, resulting in the damage shown. If you have any frame rust, I would encourage a deeper inspection in this area. My Trailblazer had a good life. It was never abused or driven off-road. It was garaged about 90% of its life and still the frame was by far the worst piece for the age of the vehicle.

Rest in peace old friend. I hope your parts go to a good home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dad has an S10 that seemed to have enough rust for a vehicle twice it's age. It was only 2 years old when it got it and the bottom was already very rusty. Its like it rolled off the factory pre-rusted or something. Thankfully, as far as I can tell, my own 08 TB is doing very well in the rust department. Still it's getting pretty old, now is probably the ideal time to upgrade. Let someone else deal with "old truck" problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a tough call. Within the last year or 2 I completely replaced the upper & lower a-arms, front struts and a new transfer case shift motor. A ton of work and money to have sitting in the salvage yard. Fortunately the last car is got rid of was easier to let go of. I had a 98 Monte Carlo with 180K. It was having issues to the tune of $300-$400 a month in just parts. After a couple of months of that, I figured I could afford the payments on a new Camaro!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a 2010 and then a 2013 camaro. So fun to drive, i miss those cars. Although I mostly just miss the manual transmission, as I'm pretty sure my 5.3 SWB trailblazer is faster than the camaros :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ship it over to Michigan! I'll get another decade out of it with a Dremel brush and my welder 🤣

1 - 8 of 8 Posts