Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought this car used and have had a lot of problems. So far we replaced a few things.
Replaced things;
-transmission
-cadilac converter
-2 tires
-a/c accuator
-battery
-starter

One night the truck started sputtering and acting as if we recieved bad gas, so we parked the truck. We had the fuel filter looked at, it was fine. We replaced the starter and battery at this point. The mechanic that looked at it says it is not the fuel pump. I am lost now.
The truck still isn't turning over. I don't know what to do at this point. (the ground wire is connected to the battery)

Can someone please give me some suggestions what could be wrong?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
364 Posts
OK,, by not turning over I take it you mean that the engine is not cranking. If this is the case, then please answer the following questions. 1) Is the battery fully charged? 2) Are the battery cables tight where they connect to the battery (do not tighten them way down or else you will damage the battery)? 3) When you turn your headlights on (engine off) are they bright? 4) If you leave your headlights on and you try and start your TrailBlazer, do the headlights stay bright, dim a great deal, or dim slightly? 5) When you try and start the engine, do you hear any clicking?

Are you going to attempt the repairs yourself or are you going to have it done for you? I ask this because if you are going to do the repairs, do you have the appropriate tools (digital multimeter, socket set, etc.)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,, by not turning over I take it you mean that the engine is not cranking. If this is the case, then please answer the following questions. 1) Is the battery fully charged? 2) Are the battery cables tight where they connect to the battery (do not tighten them way down or else you will damage the battery)? 3) When you turn your headlights on (engine off) are they bright? 4) If you leave your headlights on and you try and start your TrailBlazer, do the headlights stay bright, dim a great deal, or dim slightly? 5) When you try and start the engine, do you hear any clicking?

Are you going to attempt the repairs yourself or are you going to have it done for you? I ask this because if you are going to do the repairs, do you have the appropriate tools (digital multimeter, socket set, etc.)?
We bought a brand new battery because the original one tested for damaged cells. We put the battery in place. Everything comes on bright no problem but when we try to turn the truck on it just makes a clicking noise. A friend of mine says it's the fuel pump. Idk anymore.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A clicking noise (assuming it's coming from the starter) is generally associated with a weak battery.

A bad fuel pump will not keep the engine from cranking.

Do you have a digital multimeter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A clicking noise (assuming it's coming from the starter) is generally associated with a weak battery.

A bad fuel pump will not keep the engine from cranking.

Do you have a digital multimeter?
I do not. But I finally found someone who does and they will be here in the morning. See that's so weird I just replaced both the starter and the battery in the same day

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK on having a friend with a digital multimeter. That way you can see what the battery voltage is when the engine is not running, and when you try and start it. If the voltage drops from around 12.6 to below ~9 volts when you attempt to start the engine, one of three things is going on - the battery is not fully charged, the battery has a bed cell or two, or the starter is bad.

You really need to verify the "goodness" of the battery by getting it load tested.

If you rule out the battery and the starter, then you'll need to move on to other things.

One thing to mention is that the ignition switch is a weak point in the TrailBlazers and Envoys. A defective ignition switch could also cause the problem you are experiencing, so you just might want to replace it in order to avoid problems down the road. They go for under $50 at most auto parts stores. Many on this forum recommend replacing it with an ACDelco switch, Part Number D1426D, and nothing else. There are several how to write-ups under the 02 - 09 "How To" and DIY section. I myself keep a spare one in the glove compartment because it' a question of when, not if.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Forgot to mention - unfortunately, it is all too common these days to purchase a new starter or alternator and have it be defective out of the box. Parts are not made as well as they used to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts