Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a 2003 TB EXT since new. Never came across this....

I just picked up a 2003 TB LS a month ago. All seems good except for one strange behaviour. At random times, it will briefly flash the Brake and ABS lights in the lower left of the insturment cluster and then the Warning Chime will ring loud and constantly for about 30 seconds. Then back to normal. This doesn't seem to impact drivability or any other other function. Everything keeps right on working.

I have checked ground points and all look ok. I've been searching in vain, but can't find a similar problem.

There is an aftermarket radio connected via an Axxess GMOS-01. I checked the wiring on that yesterday and all looks good. Since the primary purpose for this unit is to retain factory chimes, etc when changing out the radio, it seems that this is working. Otherwise, it's a stock LS. No other mods.

Has enyone seen a similar issue?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Join the club :(

I am having the same problem with my 04, it is driving me nuts. I replaced my ignition switch because of a tip from a helpful member here, but it did not help. I also bought a new battery, no help.

Next is a ground under the center console. I've been too lazy to remove the console, but I am probably going to do it tonight. If that doesn't work I am going to try to find a cheap used dash cluster and plug it in just to make sure it is not the cluster.

If you figure something out please let us know.

edit: also, if you change the ignition switch let me know. I have a spare sitting around that I will send you for cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's Not the Brake Fluid

Reservoir over the Master Cylinder is full, So that's not the issue. Maybe the fluid level sensor is flaky? Can I test this with a multi-meter?

Any other ideas? Anything else that would cause the warning chimes?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
142 Posts
When it flashes and chimes it means it's unsafe to drive. Its a warning that there’s a failure in your ABS. 9 times out of 10 the brake fluid is just way too low. But if that’s not the case then you need to have your ABS looked at.

Does it have aftermarket wheels and tires?

Did it have any recent brake work done? or any other work involving suspension, axels, front end work? if you picked it up a month ago, then it most likely has.

Chances are one of the ABS sensors got knocked during some work. it could be possible that one of the sensors were unplugged, and then plugged back in while the battery was still hooked up. unhooking the battery for 30+ minutes would reset anything like that and could solve your issue. but if a sensor was knocked, then it probably needs replacing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it flashes and chimes it means it's unsafe to drive. Its a warning that there’s a failure in your ABS. 9 times out of 10 the brake fluid is just way too low. But if that’s not the case then you need to have your ABS looked at.

Does it have aftermarket wheels and tires?

Did it have any recent brake work done? or any other work involving suspension, axels, front end work? if you picked it up a month ago, then it most likely has.

Chances are one of the ABS sensors got knocked during some work. it could be possible that one of the sensors were unplugged, and then plugged back in while the battery was still hooked up. unhooking the battery for 30+ minutes would reset anything like that and could solve your issue. but if a sensor was knocked, then it probably needs replacing.
Stock wheels & tires. Rear brakes were recently serviced, but the issue existed before that. I'm going to poke around a little bit more and then will probably get it serviced.

If I find the cause, I'll be sure to update here. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Found

Well I found the cause for the random chimes. Seems the previous owner had done some wiring for a GPS that wasn't quite right.

I bought a bluetooth adapter for the aftermarket Alpine radio that was in the unit. So I had the dash open and checked out all the wiring for the aftermarket radio. It's connected properly.

While I was running the Mic wire for the Bluetooth up to the headliner. I discovered a two wire cable that had been chopped off and left in the headliner above the mirror. I followed this down the drivers pillar and to the rear fuse block under the back seat. The negative side was hooked up okay, but the positive side was simply jammed in along side one of the existing fuses. I'm not sure if this was shorting to metal intermittently over the headliner or if it was the wire jammed in next to the fuse that was the cause. Doesn't really matter. Once I pulled all this custom wiring out, the chiming stopped. I've since had it hooked up to a code scanner and nothing stored, so I'm good to go.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me out on this!:D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,681 Posts
I'm jealous. So far ----- 2 years now ---- My TB has been silent ... no music ... no chimes. <sigh>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts