Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up all, been a member for close to a year and it is time for me to right in. About 11 months ago a bought my TB (4.2, 4x4, LT) and for the most part it is good. I changed the serpentine belt (pain in the ass), found out the back liftgat window won't open (anyone else) it is stuck at the top of the passenger side, then 4 months ago I was driving down the road and my water pump blew (hurt my wallet), I had to change the battery, and now I am getting my t stat changed b/c of my ses light. I am also getting the shift lock solenoid (actuator) changed because shifting between P, R, and D is not working...out of nowhere.

I have 84,000 miles on it and I would really like to know what is about to happen from people's experience and what easy things I can do on my own. I know throttle body cleaning and fuel filter change. Anything else you can think of. I am a new driveway mechanic but I can usually figure things out.

Thanks for all the help, I just can't afford to keep putting money out.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Transfer fluid change interval is 50K, and a lot of folks who don't read the Owner's Manual think it's 100K. Can't ignore that one, plus check the differential oil levels. Top off if low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transfer fluid change interval is 50K, and a lot of folks who don't read the Owner's Manual think it's 100K. Can't ignore that one, plus check the differential oil levels. Top off if low.
I haven't had the pleasure of working on a TB yet, I will call the previous owner to ask about the Transfer fluid. As for the differential oil levels where do I check that at, couldn't find anything in the search section.

Thanks for the response. I am trying to do things on my own so I can save some cash and learn as I go. I am hoping to make the TB a longterm vehicle, tired of buying and selling. I am working out of an apartment and borrowing alot from neighbors and autozone, so I appreciate all the no brainer advice.:bonk:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case when I get it back tomorrow morning I will have to take a look, thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm relatively new to the site but have had my 02 TB LS AWD/4x4 for about 5 years now (bought with about 32,000 miles on it).

I now have over 150,000 miles. The only thing I can think of that happened around 80,000 miles was my front ball joints giving out. I've been told that this is a common problem over 50,000 miles. It wouldn't be a bad Idea to check your schocks and struts if they have never been replaced. :m2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm relatively new to the site but have had my 02 TB LS AWD/4x4 for about 5 years now (bought with about 32,000 miles on it).

I now have over 150,000 miles. The only thing I can think of that happened around 80,000 miles was my front ball joints giving out. I've been told that this is a common problem over 50,000 miles. It wouldn't be a bad Idea to check your schocks and struts if they have never been replaced. :m2:
Just out of curiosity, what did that run you? I am trying to save money for repairs before they happen. I have also heard that the fan clutch is an issue. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
126 Posts
Found it

Sorry it took me so long to find this but I had the front lower ball joints replaced at 95,036 miles in 2005. It cost me $89.00 each for the part and plus $69.99 for the labor at DOBBS (I will not go back there again) :mad:.

For things I can't do myself I have found a mechanic at a local Western Auto who has been very upfront with me/honest and dependable. :D

Hope this helps:woot:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fan Clutch

Wow, you hit it right on the nose. I had the fan clutch replaced at 79,031 miles by a chevy dealership. Cost me $267.42.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts