Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL and the Dashboard instrument cluster completely gave out. All gauges are dead and the digital odometer is dead as well. For a few weeks they were on and off working and not working and when the gauges went out, so did the odometer. Back lights are working and always worked. However when the gauges and odometer went in and out you can see the lights dim a bit.

I have read many articles here on the topic and I will take on the DYI project. however, i have a question. Replacing the 6 Stepper Motors will fix the gauges, however how are those related to the digital odometer that is also dead?

I have not found anything in the forum regarding the repair or troubleshooting of the dead odometer. Or is it that by fixing the stepper motors the odometer will also come to life?

In summary, i am all set to fix the stepper motors but need to know what to do with the dead odometer. If this means the entire cluster is useless, i would like to know that prior to buying the supplies to fix it.

Thanx for your time.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,495 Posts
This not a stepper motor problem, more than likely it is a problem with the cluster's power supply. I have never seen any schematics for the cluster.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL and the Dashboard instrument cluster completely gave out. All gauges are dead and the digital odometer is dead as well. For a few weeks they were on and off working and not working and when the gauges went out, so did the odometer. Back lights are working and always worked. However when the gauges and odometer went in and out you can see the lights dim a bit.

I have read many articles here on the topic and I will take on the DYI project. however, i have a question. Replacing the 6 Stepper Motors will fix the gauges, however how are those related to the digital odometer that is also dead?

I have not found anything in the forum regarding the repair or troubleshooting of the dead odometer. Or is it that by fixing the stepper motors the odometer will also come to life?

In summary, i am all set to fix the stepper motors but need to know what to do with the dead odometer. If this means the entire cluster is useless, i would like to know that prior to buying the supplies to fix it.

Thanx for your time.
I have heard of bad grounds, causing complete dash outage, but you should read here, 14 pages worth, before buying stepper motors.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=38591

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pin out diagram for the 03 Envoy xl instrument cluster

I have heard of bad grounds, causing complete dash outage, but you should read here, 14 pages worth, before buying stepper motors.

Thank you for that. I had already read that but read it all again just in case i missed anything. Towards the end (pg 13) they mention the "pin out diagram" for grounding issues.

However, the image they share there is dead and no longer works so i cannot see their solution nor can i find the pin out diagram for the 03 Envoy xl instrument cluster anywhere!

Any idea where i can find this? It may be a simple grounding fix that i can do but i have no idea where to find it or how it works.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03 Envoy XL Cluster Power Supply

This not a stepper motor problem, more than likely it is a problem with the cluster's power supply. I have never seen any schematics for the cluster.
Thank you for your reply.
I have no idea how to check for a power supply problem. :duh:

Think a bad ingnition switch can cause these problems?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dead Instrument Cluster Solved

Problem solved! :woot:

It was not the motors, nor the ground and was not a power problem either.

Turns out the board was dirty! Just a simple cleaning of the black spots with alcohol brought it back to life!

Thank you to davinci for the solution which i found on another thread and tried it.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=96670

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
Problem solved! :woot:

It was not the motors, nor the ground and was not a power problem either.

Turns out the board was dirty! Just a simple cleaning of the black spots with alcohol brought it back to life!

Thank you to davinci for the solution which i found on another thread and tried it.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=96670
What an odd problem. How does the board get dirty?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,495 Posts
The circuit board is not cleaned thoroughly at manufacture and the solder rosin that is left causes corrosion after some time. The corrosion is conductive and causes shorts on the board.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
977 Posts
I have read that as well as well as hitting the solder joints with an iron which probably does the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts