Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I need your input regarding my 2003 Envoy. I have read many of the threads regarding thermostat replacement and 1) the thermostat is on the passenger side of my engine compartment, 2) even removing the wheel did not offer enough space to remove the lower bolt from the existing thermostat. (Please note that when I say "I", what I really mean is "my husband"). We purchased extensions for the ratchet as well as a ratchet with a smaller angle and cannot reach it.

Has anyone dealt with this and if so can you offer input?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
I thought the thermostat was on the driver side on the inline 6 engine, to gain access you have to remove the alternator so you can get the hose off.

Hello all, I need your input regarding my 2003 Envoy. I have read many of the threads regarding thermostat replacement and 1) the thermostat is on the passenger side of my engine compartment, 2) even removing the wheel did not offer enough space to remove the lower bolt from the existing thermostat. (Please note that when I say "I", what I really mean is "my husband"). We purchased extensions for the ratchet as well as a ratchet with a smaller angle and cannot reach it.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2003 isuzu ascender
115 Posts
WHOA!! The thermostat housing is located on the DRIVERS SIDE of the engine just behind the alternator. Suggest you re-read the past threads AND GOOD PICTURES to get this done right.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You

After looking at the pictures, reading, and looking at the pictures again we have realized that we were indeed trying to remove something other than the actual thermostat!!

Thanks for saving us from a huge mistake and many more hours outside in the cold temps! We will attempt this again next weekend.

:tiphat

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Contrary to traditional engines (like my 72 Olds Rocket), The thermostat is found at the end of the lower radiator hose, instead of the upper.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you!!
Depends on what size engine you have as well. I have the v8 and the thermostat is on the front of the engine on the passengers side about halfway down. If you follow the lower radiator hose you will find it. the 6 cylinder is in a different location. I just had to change the thermostat on my v8 2003 envoy xl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts