Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Hmm... I smell a bad stepper motor...

Who ever told you that you need to replace the entire instrument cluster is wrong. Do a search for "stepper Motor" and you will find how to buy one and replace it. Way cheaper than getting a new cluster...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2003Envoy Speedometer stopped working

Thanks for the info. I will do some additional research on the "stepper Motor".

TP

Hmm... I smell a bad stepper motor...

Who ever told you that you need to replace the entire instrument cluster is wrong. Do a search for "stepper Motor" and you will find how to buy one and replace it. Way cheaper than getting a new cluster...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Somebody called into Car Talk on NPR yesterday with a bad speedo stepper motor. The dealer wanted $1000 for a replacement gauge cluster, and refused to install anything the caller might buy used, because the mileage wouldn't match the vehicle.

Sigh. All problems that have been solved by the aftermarket gauge repair stations. If you can't replace your own failed stepper, the Ebay repair vendor will do the entire thing for $90.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Somebody called into Car Talk on NPR yesterday with a bad speedo stepper motor. The dealer wanted $1000 for a replacement gauge cluster, and refused to install anything the caller might buy used, because the mileage wouldn't match the vehicle.

Sigh. All problems that have been solved by the aftermarket gauge repair stations. If you can't replace your own failed stepper, the Ebay repair vendor will do the entire thing for $90.
I listened to the Click & Clack Show earlier tonight. They weren't sure if the odometer of the used cluster could be reset. Wouldn't the Tech II be able to reset it? :undecided

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I listened to the Click & Clack Show earlier tonight. They weren't sure if the odometer of the used cluster could be reset. Wouldn't the Tech II be able to reset it? :undecided
I read up a bit on this for a friend a few years ago. The dealer's staff CAN'T be trusted with that power, so only depot repair centers are allowed to reset electronic odometers. IIRC. I hope I'm remembering correctly. But the guys should have known about aftermarket cluster repair centers.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I read up a bit on this for a friend a few years ago. The dealer's staff CAN'T be trusted with that power, so only depot repair centers are allowed to reset electronic odometers. IIRC. I hope I'm remembering correctly. But the guys should have known about aftermarket cluster repair centers.
Very understandable.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Same problem with mine

I have the same problem with mine, The speedometer quit working and the oil pressure guage go's from o to 80 and stays there until the engine is shut off. Was told has bad stepper motor and can be fixed for $235.00 which includes shipping. Mine should have been painted yellow cause it's been a lemon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts