Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running a little rough at idle with a slight pop out the exhaust, also has stalled a few times and somewhat sluggish.
Started up this morning and Engine Light was on. Stopped by local auto parts store and read codes for me.
On the way home the light did go out but still same symptoms.
Any help on a solution would be appreciated. The rich I assume is because of one of the other two. But which may be causing the other?

Cyl 3 misfire

Camshaft position sensor timing over advanced

Bank 1 system rich

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,245 Posts
What is the maintenance history on the truck? What is the mileage?

Misfire can be any number of things, plugs, ignition coil, poor compresion, intake manifold leak.

Do you change the oil regularly? Camshaft actuator depends on clean oil to operate properly.

Rich condition could be due to bad fuel regulator or the vacuum line to it is disconnected.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the maintenance history on the truck? What is the mileage?

Just bought it used about 3 months ago with 120,000.0 miles.

Misfire can be any number of things, plugs, ignition coil, poor compresion, intake manifold leak.

Do you change the oil regularly? Camshaft actuator depends on clean oil to operate properly.

According to the previous owners records the oil was changed regularly, plugs at 100,000.0 miles. I changed the oil about a week after I bought it with semi synthetic.

Rich condition could be due to bad fuel regulator or the vacuum line to it is disconnected.
I thought one could cause the others since they all seemed to show up at the same time. The light did go off but it still runs somewhat rough with a slight pop out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK at service today talked to a few more knowing then me. It was suggested I change the oil control solenoid and I figured the camshaft position sensor and they weren't very expensive. I do think it was the oil control solenoid. since as soon as I took of the wires off the little well was full of oil and the sol was loose from the mounting part of the bracket, just spun freely.
Idles perfectly now and has pick-up again and no pop at all out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
Don't forget to clean out your throttle body. You get too many phantom errors as a result of a build up on the flap.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK I'm back. I changes the Variable Valve Timing Actuator Solenoid and the camshaft position sensor as I stated earlier. It ran perfectly for about a week then started to idle rougher again and sluggish as time went on.
I'm back to where I started just no check engine light yet.
Any suggestions?

Only thing to ad is the pins/plug on the oil sol was sitting in oil from the old one leaking. I sprayed with some contact cleaner and blew it out with air and re plugged in but didn'y make a difference.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK went to the local shop for a code reading and there were 10.
PO 300
U1001
U1000
U1301
CO300
CO305
CO306
CO321
co327
CO359
CO374
CO379
CO550
I doubt there are this many problems, but!
The only thing I could think is when I disconnected the Neg terminal on the Battery it was loose, when I reconnected it it is stripped. Any more then just hand tightening and it just spins. Do they make a fix or is it a New Battery time?
The check engine light is not on just running rough.

Update.
I was able to clean the battery terminals good and found a replacement type bolt for the neg side. All tightened up. Left the battery disconnected for an hour or so so we'll see if there is any change today!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I cleaned the terminals as mentioned, drove it to work yesterday about 12 miles. It did run smoother and there were a few side effects I noticed.

The idle was 900-1000 rpm in the morning on the way to work and half way home it went back to 600 or so and idled pretty good.

The volt gauge used to move around between 14 and 15.5 yesterday morning it stood at 15 and never moved with ht on blowing or not, by my trip home yesterday it was steady at about 14.5 with no fluctuation.

Today we will see if it still idles good and see if there is any codes!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Runs smoother so far but not as smooth as it did but it's only been a few days. I will read the codes today.
I figure a throttle Body cleaning is due today if weather permits.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured tightened and cleaning the cables had something to do with it.
Still idles rough, yesterday it was going up and down between 650-900 rpm.
Pick up has been good no longer sluggish, No codes since the terminals were cleaned and repaired.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update. My Envoy since last post just continued to run worse as time went on since last post. So today I replaced the plugs, the rear two were loose enough I didn't need the ratchet just the extension. How do ya know the boot is all the way over the plug? I just dropped the coil straight down, there was little to no resistance when I pushed down and tightened the bolt.
Also cleaned the throttle body which I assume by other pictures was pretty dirty. Just took it to the PO so far and it runs smoother but still has a smooth rock, no miss. P/O is much better also.
Here's a few before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I'm about to seriously take this thing out and us it for target practice.:(
It does have a little better pick up still but is back to idling like garbage to the point it sometimes feels like it wants to stall when ya take off.
Everytime I do anything it idles better for a short time then goes back to idling like garbage. I have a pending code of multi cyl misfire now.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
43 Posts
Read through this thread and may have missed something in my reading, but have you checked for vacuum leaks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts