Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running a little rough at idle with a slight pop out the exhaust, also has stalled a few times and somewhat sluggish.
Started up this morning and Engine Light was on. Stopped by local auto parts store and read codes for me.
On the way home the light did go out but still same symptoms.
Any help on a solution would be appreciated.

Cyl 3 misfire

Camshaft position sensor timing over advanced

Bank 1 system Rich

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update for anyone in the future.

OK at service today talked to a few more knowing then me. It was suggested I change the oil control solenoid and I figured the camshaft position sensor and they weren't very expensive. I do think it was the oil control solenoid. since as soon as I took of the wires off the little well was full of oil and the sol was loose from the mounting part of the bracket, just spun freely.
Idles perfectly now and has pick-up again and no pop at all out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
83 Posts
I belive the part you are referring to is the variable timing solenoid. The early models had a known defect, where the screens would dislodge.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK I'm back.
I changes the Variable Valve Timing Actuator Solenoid and the camshaft position sensor as I stated earlier. It ran perfectly for about a week then started to idle rougher again and sluggish as time went on.
I'm back to where I started just no check engine light yet.
Any suggestions?

Only thing to ad is the pins/plug on the oil sol was sitting in oil from the old one leaking. I sprayed with some contact cleaner and blew it out with air and re plugged in but didn'y make a difference.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK went to the local shop for a code reading and there were 10.
PO 300
U1001
U1000
U1301
CO300
CO305
CO306
CO321
CO327
CO359
CO374
CO379
CO550
I doubt there are this many problems, but!
The only thing I could think is when I disconnected the Neg terminal on the Battery it was loose, when I reconnected it is stripped. Any more then just hand tightening and it just spins. Do they make a fix or is it a New Battery time? The check engine light is not on just running rough.

Update.
I was able to clean the battery terminals good and found a replacement type bolt for the neg side. All tightened up. Left the battery disconnected for an hour or so so we'll see if there is any change today!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK I cleaned the terminal as mentioned, drove it to work yesterday about 12 miles. It did run smoother and there were a few side effects I noticed.

The idle was 900-1000 rpm in the morning on the way to work and half way home it went back to 600 or so and idled pretty good.

The volt gauge used to bounce around between 14 and 15.5 yesterday morning it stood at 15 and never moved with ht on blowing or not, by my trip home yesterday it was steady at about 14.5 with no fluctuation.

Today we will see if it still idles good and if there is any new codes!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove it some yesterday and we're idling smooth again and looks to lost the sluggishness, BUT!
Now it keeps trying to stall, the weather here has been nasty and wet but if it idles more then 3 minutes or so it goes to stall then picks up. It's always something different and getting old. I have not read the codes this week yet to see what has changed.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured tightened and cleaning the cables had something to do with it.
Still idles rough, yesterday it was going up and down between 650-900 rpm.
Pick up has been good no longer sluggish, No codes since the terminals were cleaned and repaired.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to update. My Envoy since last post just continued to run worse as time went on since last post. So today I replaced the plugs, the rear two were loose enough I didn't need the ratchet just the extension. How do ya know the boot is all the way over the plug? I just dropped the coil straight down, there was little to no resistance when I pushed down and tightened the bolt.
Also cleaned the throttle body which I assume by other pictures was pretty dirty. Just took it to the PO so far and it runs smoother but still has a smooth rock, no miss. P/O is much better also.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I'm about to seriously take this thing out and us it for target practice. It does have a little better pick up still but is back to idling like garbage to the point it sometimes feels like it wants to stall when ya take off.
Everytime I do anything it idles better for a short time then goes back to idling like garbage. I have a pending code of multi cyl misfire now.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
331 Posts
I assume P0300 is the code ?

Try testing each cylinder's coil by taking off the airbox then disconnect one cylinder's coil wire one at a time. If the idle degrades after disconnected then that cylinder is firing OK. If there is NO change after disconnection then you could assume that cylinder is the problem. The possible culprit could be the coil

worth a shot

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
I would say replace number 3 ignition coil, same symptoms I've had, I've replaced two coils now and I'm sure the other 4 will be acting up soon.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say replace number 3 ignition coil, same symptoms I've had, I've replaced two coils now and I'm sure the other 4 will be acting up soon.
I ended up disconnecting one coil at a time. Some made a much bigger difference then others, the number 3 made nearly no difference so I replaced it. No more codes but still runs bad, rough idle and nearly stalls when I take off 1 out of every dozen or so times.
How much difference should it make when disconnecting the coils?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
My 05 Envoy has been in same boat as yours. Rough idle, poor acceleration. It even died while I was in the gas station once. Both times I replaced my coils I had a blinking CEL and the code told me which one was misfiring. I replaced all plugs, cleaned throttle body and it was like night and day. Ran great after that. May be dumb question but when you replaced your plugs did you double check the gap? I think some claim to be pre gapped but I check them anyway. Troubling that you said the back two plugs were able to be pulled out with only an extension, no ratchet. Shouldn't have been that loose.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 05 Envoy has been in same boat as yours. Rough idle, poor acceleration. It even died while I was in the gas station once. Both times I replaced my coils I had a blinking CEL and the code told me which one was misfiring. I replaced all plugs, cleaned throttle body and it was like night and day. Ran great after that. May be dumb question but when you replaced your plugs did you double check the gap? I think some claim to be pre gapped but I check them anyway. Troubling that you said the back two plugs were able to be pulled out with only an extension, no ratchet. Shouldn't have been that loose.
I cleaned the TB it was a mess as u can see by the pictures. Didn't gap the plugs but did replace them. Everytime I do something it runs fine for a day or a week maybe then back to running like crap.
When ya replaced the coil did it make a big difference and did ya check the others? As I said I disconnected one at a time and some made a big difference some not so much. Wondering if that is normal?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Give this a read if you like... https://m.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/97278/coil-on-plug-ignition-the-art-of-cop-misfire-diagnosis Both times my engine has acted like yours, the coil did the trick. That's not to say something else isn't going on with yours, but it sounds very similar to situation mine was having. If it's not throwing a code for cylinder misfire then I think it would be difficult to narrow down. If #3 was throwing code and you swap #3 to #5, then #5 misfires you know it's the coil. Yes it made a "big difference" with mine because I knew it was a coil. Maybe cleaning the TB wasn't enough, the actuator could be messed up I wouldn't know how to test for that.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Give this a read if you like... https://m.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/97278/coil-on-plug-ignition-the-art-of-cop-misfire-diagnosis Both times my engine has acted like yours, the coil did the trick. That's not to say something else isn't going on with yours, but it sounds very similar to situation mine was having. If it's not throwing a code for cylinder misfire then I think it would be difficult to narrow down. If #3 was throwing code and you swap #3 to #5, then #5 misfires you know it's the coil. Yes it made a "big difference" with mine because I knew it was a coil. Maybe cleaning the TB wasn't enough, the actuator could be messed up I wouldn't know how to test for that.
No, no codes at all right now but it is running sluggish as h*ll right now and gas mileage is in the pits, just about 13mpg when I usually do about 15.5. On top of that the fan clutch has been erratic since replacing. It seem to come on whenever I stop at a light or slow down now.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
I also just had my fan clutch replaced, it was causing a Reduced Engine Power light to come on and kept the vehicle under 20 mph. New clutch is quite loud first 30 seconds of driving then calms down, I've read something about getting the PCM flashed after replacing the fan clutch but not sure about it yet.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also just had my fan clutch replaced, it was causing a Reduced Engine Power light to come on and kept the vehicle under 20 mph. New clutch is quite loud first 30 seconds of driving then calms down, I've read something about getting the PCM flashed after replacing the fan clutch but not sure about it yet.
Used it yesterday to visit kids in SC and it was like I was dragging a house behind me. The fan seems to disengage after 2-3 minutes but my gas mileage is down to about 11-12 mpg. No codes and still idles rough. Fan does now come on every time I stop or slow to a crawl.
Looks like its time to visit a dealer which I'm sure will cost as much as it's worth.
Even my gotoguy screwed me the last time with my Explorer after 10 yrs of use.
I've put over a thousand into this thing in the last week and still need a front end alignment and two new tires. :duh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts