Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove perfect until I parked yesterday. This morning the shifter will move but it feels like an elastic is pulling it back towards park (easy until about D). Gear indicator doesn't show any movement off park and the tranny never engages.

No codes using a CANODB2 reader.

I'm thinking maybe a linkage problem but I'm nothing close to an expert.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay.

I was thinking it was a mechanical linkage and not a cable but knowing it's a cable makes the problem much more obvious. I ordered a new one that should arrive tomorrow.

Once I got the center console removed I was able to get from park to reverse by pulling the shifter all the way back so the cable isn't actually broken. I checked the connectors/bushings at both ends and they seem ok. I then checked the clips that hold the outer shell in place (if they're allowed to move then the whole cable moves rather than just the ends) and they seem OK. So the only thing left is probably the outer shell is damaged and compressing when the inner cable is tensioned, resulting in much less movement at the transmission selector arm.

At least, that's my hypothesis lol. Just figured out how to get the carpet up so I'll yank out the old cable today and have a good look at it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed.

It was the sheathing that was damaged. About 8 inches of it was split under the floor mat so the inner cable just flopped around rather than pushing or pulling much at the other end.

Easy replacement except ONE thing, the damned carpet! Mine is old and kind of soggy due to the rain but it was still a major pain to try and get the cables in and out of the center console. In fact I ended up cutting the old cable because I just couldn't get the console clip to go under.

All good now so thanks for the tip-off!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts