Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 trailblazer. In the morning, and after work, it starts no problem. After I've been driving around, I have to let it sit and cool down for at least an hour before it will start again. If not, it will try and turn over, and eventually (after 10 mins or so) it will start. This happens 4/5 times I try and start it hot.

Also, not sure if this is related (this just began), when stopped, the idle will jumpto 11,000 rpm, then drop to 2000 rpm, then back up to 11,000, then down to 2,000 and so on. Usually after the third time it drops to 2,000 rpm it will stall and die. Then I'll sit there and it won't start (above problem).

The 4wd also died this winter, I think it's the TCCM which 2002 are prone to...

I really enjoyed this car, second owner and had it for 3 years problem free, then all this all of a sudden. To be honest, I don't want to take it to a dealer and get killed with charges, it's almost not worth it, I just need to get it in selling condition. Any advise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll get the throddle body scrubbed...

Someone suggested to me it was an ignition controller pack? anything like that ring a bell?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Each plug has its own coil pack sitting on top. You didn't share the number of miles, but if it's over 100K, you should have changed the spark plugs already to Delco 41-103 iridiums.

But typically a bad coil pack or aging plugs would cause a misfire, and that gets detected, and the SES light comes on with a misfire code. You didn't say you had a SES light.

Depending on the mileage, get on the plugs first after the throttle body. And make sure all the other fluid changes listed in the Owner's Manual get done.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
912 Posts
I had a similar problem to yours about 3 months ago when I was in Havasu Palms, CA at the river when it was 121 degrees out, the TB began to act up and the idle speeds went crazy. When I got back home to SD I serviced the car and cleaned the Throttle Body. No problems since, on road or off road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight, in the above post the high idle was 1200 rmp, and the low was 200 rpm right before it stalled out.

When I turned the AC/Heat off, it seemed to idle fine. So, last night I took off the throttle body and it was covered in black gunk, like a quarter inch! I wouldn't even open all the way with my assistance.

So I cleaned her up nice, and changed the plugs while I was in there. She started up and ran fine, 10 times better than before, even in this 10 degree Nebraska blizzard.

Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts