Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All!
In the past I have successfully fixed problems with my 2002 Trailblazer from help on this forum and I'm rolling the dice on another issue. Last time we were able to change out the fan clutch motor and saved my pocket about $900 - $1100! Before that the CD player, before that we cleaned my butterfly valve which was causing hesitation, and we even changed my spark plugs. I didn't ask for help Everytime but I did it with help from threads on here. So I will listen closely and I am capable even though I have to take it slow. This time I have a new problem and need to actually ask for help instead of just reading prior instruction. Please help. I'm a financially broke disabled vet and this was my present to myself from Iraq after being injured during an ambush. Let's keep her going at 180,000 Miles!! =]

Okay, Here's the problem and what happened:

I stopped at a Railroad crossing as the barriers dropped and it looked like a slow moving, long train so I put the truck in park and let my foot off the pedal. When the train passed I put my foot on the brake and shifted into the drive position. It shifted almost too smoothly and only went into neutral. There wasn't the normal stops and clicks that it should have made. It didn't feel right anyway so I shifted into park. I tried to shift it back into drive after shutting the TB off and restarting it. The shifter wouldn't budge but I noticed it was still in neutral. The shifter stayed in the park position but since the instrument panel indicated it was actually in neutral (and it was) I pushed it off the road in the rain and busy highway full of angry drivers :mad: who apparently were trying to spray me with muddy road water. I had it towed home and it's sitting out front still in neutral with the shifter fully forward in park. Anyone know what this could be? I don't have the cash to get it fixed :worried: so I must do it myself. Ideas anyone? I figure it might be a linkage, cable, or something like that but I'm not sure and don't know how to check it. Thanks-a-million!!!

Sincerely, Joshua

P.S. Good thing I didn't have trouble ON the busy track :eek:. That could have been bad news Charlie Brown.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Typically the cable breaks or comes unclipped at the side of the tranny. It should be obvious when you get down there to look. I hardly ever hear of a break at the console end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will check that Today

As soon as it quits raining and lightning. It's been raining pretty much solid through the night. You've got to love Florida summer rains. I will check the side of the tran out to see if I see a cable hanging or something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Problem Found

Well, I lifted 'er up :undecided and found that it was exactly what you thought it was roadie:thumbsup:. The linkage fell off. My bushing was dry rotted or cracked and it allowed my cable to just fall off as i tried to shift. Then I guess a safety mechanism kicked in and it allowed me to shift it into park even though the transmission remained in neutral. Looks like I waited around for a tow truck for something i could have crawled underneath and fixed :duh: I put the linkage back on the shifter rod this morning and when I pressed the brake it allowed me to shift into gear and I drove around the block. She ran great. Now... I went to buy the bushing and Chevrolet said they only sell the entire linkage, not just the bushing.

I read :coffee on another thread that you can buy generic bushings at AZ or DAP. Is this true?

Anyway, we did it again :grouphug: now just need to find a bushing to slip on there to replace my duct tape.

If I missed an appropriate smiley-con (Smiley Icon) Let me know and I'll put it in.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
This thread reminds me... I haven't checked my linkage for damage in awhile.

Would suck to lose the ability to shift into and out of gear out on a trail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still Hunting a Bushing

Anyone have a good site where I can buy a shifter linkage bushing? That little rubber piece that holds the cable to the shifting rod that sticks out of the transmission. I still have it held on by tape and what's left of the old bushing. :thumbsup: I've looked everywhere I could think of.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
192 Posts
Sounds like a bit of bad luck with timing and location there. Glad it was an easy repair. It probably wouldn't hurt to visit AZ or such to see if you can order your bushing.

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts