Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the Brake Backing Plate (same as dust cover) and /or the parking brake? Mine is rusted pretty bad, and I am not sure if it is need to help support the parking assembly. I am not sure if I need to take the axles off or how involved a processes this is. My car failed inspection for no parking brake and they quotes about $800 dollars to fix.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
Yeah that sounds like new backing plates, rotors, and pads. you have to take them all off to get to the backing plates and E-brake

BTW my gf's '02 ' voy needs backing plates also, got quoted $700 but she doesnt need brakes at all

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
The backing plates are not completely necessary and you cannot fail state inspections because of it. I replaced my parking brake shoes in the summer. It ended up being a much easier job than I anticipated and the parts were about $80 total at rockauto.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
It ended up being a much easier job than I anticipated and the parts were about $80 total at rockauto.
Yes, much easier than I thought too, AFTER I got the :hissy: [email protected]#%* threadlocked caliper bracket bolts out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Brake Backing Plate (same as dust cover) and /or the parking brake? Mine is rusted pretty bad, and I am not sure if it is need to help support the parking assembly. I am not sure if I need to take the axles off or how involved a processes this is. My car failed inspection for no parking brake and they quotes about $800 dollars to fix.
mine failed too i bought the parts 80$ an i have no clue where they are at so i am going to pay the labor charges of 224$:cry:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was wondering this too...could you tell that your parking brake was weak...i can yank mine with going 5-10mph and i don't slow down or anything...just keeps going...we don't have inspections here in sc so nobody can make me change it but it might be something to look into...if you guys could help me out that would be great...thanks...

·
Registered
2003 isuzu ascender
115 Posts
Had same issues with NO BRAKE action. Found that cables had corrosion build up inside covering. Forced "rust buster " spray in both ends and made a difference for a while but went ahead and just replced both cables anyway for peace of mind. Barely have to pull it now and engages RIGHT ON. Seems former owner never used brake (no hills in Florida??;):p) and hence corrosion, but pads looked good(hey, hardly used:crazy:!!).

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
Ya, mine doesn't seem to do much when I yank on it when I actually use it. Ill go to set it, let my foot off the break, and will still move until the trans or whatever keeps it from moving engages. Replacing this cable :undecided, how hard is that to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts