Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I select both the high and low beams with the all-in-one switch, the left high beam goes out and the truck stalls. Also, left blinker blinks rapidly. When selecting only the high beams, the left one won't go on. That bulb is new. So far all I've checked, with the multimeter, was voltages and continuity of the plug going into the left headlight housing. Both + wires had 12.5V; continuity in the ground wires was fine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'm prolly reading a LOT between the lines here ---- but any time you flip on the high beams and the engine falters ---- you're stealing- or sending- power to ground in a big way and there's not enough left to keep the engine running.

I'm not suspecting any ignition stuff like coils and FI power --- but something more critical like voltage or a ground for the ECM/BCM or any other "EM" device you might have.

You're gonna need someone like Chemman or TJ to lead you in this one since I don't have the wiring schematics for this stuff.

But --- how are you at:

1. Following instructions explicitly​
2. Using a digital VOM​
3. Opening wire looms and/or checking computer connections​
4. Generally --- getting your fingers sticky/dirty/stained with electrical tape glue, electrical grease, general dirt and oil​

Some people (maybe you) cringe at those demands on them (and/or you) ..... but if you're up to it --- prepare to be amazed ..... (not by me though)

?Don't do anything until you hear from those guys! OK¿

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,610 Posts
First, welcome to the group!

Second, are you saying that when you go from low beam headlights being on to high beam headlights being on by using the multi-function switch on the steering column, the low beams stay on, only the right high beam comes on and the engine stalls out?

I ask because on my TrailBlazer, when I go from low beams to high beams, the low beams turn off and only the high beams are illuminated.

The first thing to check is to make sure that the battery cable to battery connections are clean and tight. By tight, I do not mean tightened down by the Hulk. The torque specification for the battery cable to battery bolts is something like 85 inch-lbs. The second thing to check is to make sure that the little negative battery cable is connected to the body and that the connection is clean and tight.

Now, until you answer the questions Ravalli asked about your tool inventory, skills, and comfort level, I'll hold off on suggesting anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm prolly reading a LOT between the lines here ---- but any time you flip on the high beams and the engine falters ---- you're stealing- or sending- power to ground in a big way and there's not enough left to keep the engine running.

I'm not suspecting any ignition stuff like coils and FI power --- but something more critical like voltage or a ground for the ECM/BCM or any other "EM" device you might have.

You're gonna need someone like Chemman or TJ to lead you in this one since I don't have the wiring schematics for this stuff.

But --- how are you at:

1. Following instructions explicitly​
2. Using a digital VOM​
3. Opening wire looms and/or checking computer connections​
4. Generally --- getting your fingers sticky/dirty/stained with electrical tape glue, electrical grease, general dirt and oil​

Some people (maybe you) cringe at those demands on them (and/or you) ..... but if you're up to it --- prepare to be amazed ..... (not by me though)

?Don't do anything until you hear from those guys! OK¿
I can follow if I can understand and will ask, if I don't. I use a Fluke with my tube radio / amplifier hobby. Have never opened wire looms, never checked computer connections. Repair is a learning work in progress for me. I've repaired stuff but have lots to learn. And yes repair can be amazing and satisfying. I like the feel of dirty grease on my hands.

EDIT: Photo of loose connection added.

Thank you. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First, welcome to the group!

Second, are you saying that when you go from low beam headlights being on to high beam headlights being on by using the multi-function switch on the steering column, the low beams stay on, only the right high beam comes on and the engine stalls out?

I ask because on my TrailBlazer, when I go from low beams to high beams, the low beams turn off and only the high beams are illuminated.

The first thing to check is to make sure that the battery cable to battery connections are clean and tight. By tight, I do not mean tightened down by the Hulk. The torque specification for the battery cable to battery bolts is something like 85 inch-lbs. The second thing to check is to make sure that the little negative battery cable is connected to the body and that the connection is clean and tight.

Now, until you answer the questions Ravalli asked about your tool inventory, skills, and comfort level, I'll hold off on suggesting anything else.
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry late reply; under the weather. When I pull the all-in-one in towards me (I think that's to switch on both high and low beams) that's when the stalling happens. The battery was just installed new by AAA (they had a better deal going than I could find in the stores). I'll check the ground connection again. ALSO, I just remembered something... I'll have to get a photo of this. There is a connection that is disconnected, a red wire, part of a harness.

EDIT: Photo added.

EDIT: Just learned, that red wire connects to battery if powering a trailer battery.

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Out of curiosity, I took a defective multi-purpose switch apart one day. It was fascinating.

There were lots of little gizmos and flatchettes, but nothing got anywhere near to the ignition switch nor any of it's circuits.

So --- limb-walking here --- I'm gonna bet you're not experiencing something to do with the ignition --- UNLESS --- somethings wobbling and shorting across a circuit (via a wire, not inside the multi-switch part).

Still I wonder and cannot see nor reason for anything associated with killing the engine by flipping on the high beams.

Are "we" running out of voltage by pulling a little harder whilst in high beam? Mebbee ..... still it's a stretch.

I'm watching carefully..................................................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of curiosity, I took a defective multi-purpose switch apart one day. It was fascinating.

There were lots of little gizmos and flatchettes, but nothing got anywhere near to the ignition switch nor any of it's circuits.

So --- limb-walking here --- I'm gonna bet you're not experiencing something to do with the ignition --- UNLESS --- somethings wobbling and shorting across a circuit (via a wire, not inside the multi-switch part).

Still I wonder and cannot see nor reason for anything associated with killing the engine by flipping on the high beams.

Are "we" running out of voltage by pulling a little harder whilst in high beam? Mebbee ..... still it's a stretch.

I'm watching carefully..................................................
I just discovered, that disconnected red wire is for connecting a trailer battery. So, that's not the problem here.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
61 Posts
Please DO attach that wire and add a fuse to the circuit because it's the ONLY way to get back into your vehicle if the battery goes dead.
Thanks for the advice of adding a fuse!
I once experienced a very interesting aftermath involving totally naked #14 wire. Hint: wire was not naked previously.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,610 Posts
OK on the Fluke. Welcome to the club!

Again, please check the battery connections and the negative battery cable connection at the non battery end. Also, while you are at it, carefully check both ends of both battery cables to see if there are any signs of the green grunge disease that affects copper wiring exposed to the elements.

Another thing to do is to check the plugs that go into the headlamp bulbs and make sure they are intact and not melted and that the wires going into the pugs are also intact and that the insulation has not melted away. These plugs can get very hot and melt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts