Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a former mechanic, and a do-it-yourselfer. I've just replaced the rack and pinion, after it continued to leak. Now I followed the rules when replacing the rack, I disconnected the battery, completed the repair, and after repairs were complete, recconnected the battery. When I did, the airbag light was on. I read these forums, and having read a few posts, I determined that it could be lose wires within the ignition module (had some issues before with it cranking) so I replaced that. Now it has no trouble cranking, but it still has the "SERVICE AIRBAG" message. The only other posts I see are saying it could be a connector under the seat, or the SDM needs reprogramming. The question is what should I do here? I'm trying to sell the truck so I don't want to dump another $800 into it to get it perfect for someone else.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
69 Posts
I would get it tested at autozone for free or someone with a scanner and see what codes exactly it is showing before throwing parts at it..

I changed both my front sensors, the air bag module under the center console, and my broken clock spring before fixing it a few weeks ago..

post what code you have here and see what we can come up with...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I took it to Advance yesterday and the code reader had no code....yeah that's kinda how it's been. I'm sure the diagnostic fee of $75 to tell me I need a new SDM or a reprogram will only irritate the situation. Is there a way I can reset the module without sending it off or replacing it?

Oh another symptom: the steering wheel A/C controls and the radio controls don't work at all.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
69 Posts
I took it to Advance yesterday and the code reader had no code....yeah that's kinda how it's been. I'm sure the diagnostic fee of $75 to tell me I need a new SDM or a reprogram will only irritate the situation. Is there a way I can reset the module without sending it off or replacing it?
The system checks itself each time it powers up, when its fixed it will not show the error... unless I am wrong, I think the air bag module only has a problem after its had an air bag release... i.e. crash..

It could be the cheap autozone type scanners wont show it.. but you need a GM scanner, mine was scanned with a snap on scanner w/ the GM key...

I'm sure there is a code there, but the cheap scanners wont show it...

odds are it will be cheaper in long run to get it scanned... as there are soooo many components to this system... is that $75 dealer price? mine was $40...

I dont know of any way to reset it without sending it out... guess you could try a junk yard one , maybe get it real cheap to try... but many in junk yards are going to have air bag release as they are there for a reason...

I got lucky and got one from a junk yard and they 'confirmed' it was NOT a crash vehicle.. I got the new front sensors there too.. actually sent away buying them on ebay..

front sensors are famous for corrosion around the bolt holes and then cracking

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
651 Posts
My understandings are that a AirBag system is mandated by the government for a 10 year warrenty. But I am not sure if their is a mileage inclusion. This would have to be verified by some docementation. Probly in the owners manual, but I dont know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks

I guess I'll see if I can find a place that can scan it first to tell me what the issue is. It hasn't been wrecked where the airbags released. The only thing I can think of is the air tools may have set a sensor off while the battery was unplugged. Other than that the light should not be on. if they can read it can they reset it as well if there is no problem?

I wanted to ask you said that Autozone had a GM key?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
69 Posts
No , local mechanic I know had a snap on scanner w/ the GM key....

usually takes lot to get an air bag sensor to go off... alot more impact in a crash than you would think actually..

hard to believe an air tool would do it.. not sure anything around the rack / pinion even close to air bag systems.. but who knows.. anything is possible..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts

Oh another symptom: the steering wheel A/C controls and the radio controls don't work at all.
Sounds like a busted clock spring to me :m2:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Did you spin the steering wheel around when you had the shaft disconnected from the gear? I would bet that's what happened and the clockspring in the column is broken now. That's the only thing I could think of being the problem since it came up after you replaced the gear.

An Autozone code reader cannot read codes from the airbag system. You'll either have to go to the dealer or find some other place that happens to have a high dollar scan tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bingo.....spun the wheel while the shaft was disconnected. So broken clock spring....this sounds fun to fix....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered the new clockspring for $40 off ebay! Should be here within a week, and I've already got everything ready to go to fix it. I'll post here when I'm done. Hopefully others with this issue will be able to find answers here.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
69 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part about the steering buttons not working,,, in that case,, yup , clock spring...

$40 ? I got mine at cost few weeks ago.. $300 cost, over $400 list for ours w/ airbag and steering buttons..

Without steering buttons, $150 cost, forgot how much retail...

So if your getting them for $40, go man go... if its an used one, lets hope when they took it out, they didn't spin the wheel too.. thats the only reason I just didn't buy a whole steering column in a junk yard.. no way to know if the junk yard monkey spun it when he tossed it on the ground or not..

see Roadies write up listed here under clock spring w/ excellent pics to follow..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I looked up the part number via on old chevy dealer friend to ensure it's fit. Ebay is a wonderful thing as long as the part works. If it doesn't work I'll be sure to return it quick. Maybe I'll be out of $7.00, but better than nothing right? (ensure if you ever buy Ebay it's guaranteed to fit and work if not don't buy my :m2: ). Should be here by Friday. :woohoo:

Yeah I looked at his write up and pics. Looks awesome!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clockspring

Well after some finangling and shipping problems (gotta love stupid Ebay sellers) I finally got the part in and fixed the truck. You were 100% right about the clockspring being the reason the steering controls and the airbag light was on. I first tore down the steering to get to the unit. First thing that should be done is to remove the panel under the steering wheel covering the harness. This harness contains the clockspring and IS INSEPERABLE from the harness, it is one piece! Now if you don't have steering controls then it's different. If you were thourough like me you called the local Chevy dealer, gave him my VIN, and he looked up the part. If he's smart he won't give you the part number, but the guy I called was either nice or clueless, and gave it up. I searched the part number online and found it on ebay.....cheap. It's important to remember that the part numbers could be superseded. Also gmpartsgiant.com has detailed pictures and descriptions of each part including part #. Very useful. If you have any questions about this let me know I'm sure a lot of guys and girls out there with airbag lights are confused about this issue.. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
69 Posts
Thats great you got it fixed....

you might want to post the part number for your particular vehicle to help anyone in the future..

I was soooo tempted to go w/ an used one, but like I said... I would have just been pissed if it was broke too after all the work to get it in...

good deal... nice to have that damn light off the dash isn't it.

Now to see why my check engine light has yet again come on... used to be once in while for an evap thing... no idea what it might be..

but this time its not going off...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm a former mechanic, and a do-it-yourselfer. I've just replaced the rack and pinion, after it continued to leak. Now I followed the rules when replacing the rack, I disconnected the battery, completed the repair, and after repairs were complete, recconnected the battery. When I did, the airbag light was on. I read these forums, and having read a few posts, I determined that it could be lose wires within the ignition module (had some issues before with it cranking) so I replaced that. Now it has no trouble cranking, but it still has the "SERVICE AIRBAG" message. The only other posts I see are saying it could be a connector under the seat, or the SDM needs reprogramming. The question is what should I do here? I'm trying to sell the truck so I don't want to dump another $800 into it to get it perfect for someone else.
had this exact problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you spin the steering wheel around when you had the shaft disconnected from the gear? I would bet that's what happened and the clockspring in the column is broken now. That's the only thing I could think of being the problem since it came up after you replaced the gear.

An Autozone code reader cannot read codes from the airbag system. You'll either have to go to the dealer or find some other place that happens to have a high dollar scan tool.
this guy knows what hes talking about!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts