Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
For some time now I've had a horn that only works if steering wheel turned either way from straight ahead. Dead spot on clock spring when straight ahead, no? Removed air bag module and sanded horn contacts, spring contact is seated properly - no joy

GM part 26090355 wiring harness v expensive

GM part 26090357 coil kit much less but picture doesn't look right

Anyone have experience replacing just the less expensive kit?

Thanks in advance...
Jon

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Never "sand" electrical point or contacts. It leaves microscopic abrasive particles in the metal that actually increase the resistance and will remove any contact material from the surface that was put there to minimize arcing or spikes in the signal .... computers don't like that!

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around there being alternately connected-disconnected positions in the clockspring itself. It's not impossible ... but I've never heard of it happening.

There are other ... much more experienced owners here who have been into all sorts of strange-o electrical hobgoblins that I'll now defer to them.....

I've dropped my shiniest dime here ..... and I'm taking an audible.... just don't sand electrical contacts again.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,624 Posts
If you ever have to clean critical contacts like those found in the clock spring, get some of this stuff:

It is worth it's weight in gold!!! Darn good stuff for all kinds of electrical contacts.

For run of the mill type switch contacts (power window & door locks, rocker switches, etc.) I would use some of this:

Again, darn good stuff. Worth it's weight in platinum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up, although I can say the horn still works if steering wheel is turned one way or the other, just not in the straight ahead position I'm envisioning a circular copper trace within the clock spring that has worn spots where the slider sits most of the time?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
484 Posts
I think if it was the clock spring it would set a code.
Pull the steering wheel, air bag and clock spring out. There's 2 copper washers under the clock spring, ones a wave washer, the other ones flat. Clean them off well, spray with some contact cleaner around the area and try again.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I use MAF Cleaner all the time as I got tired of th4e big price of DeoxIT.

They are pretty much the same product and I tend to lean toward the MAF cleaner a little better.

I KNOW for sure MAF Cleaner is the same as Radio Schlack's Contact Cleaner!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so, got busy and pulled everything out to access the clock spring module - cleaning the wave washer no joy (no flat washer present) but doesn't appear to be electrically connected as it rests against plastic housing bottom of module
part number is 26086702 and used one on e-bay but I think I want new...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts