Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me just say that for the record that in 2002, GM must have had their Trailblazer design team smoking some serious $hit… Recently, I drove out to the Central Valley of California to visit a friend. It was on average around 100 degrees the whole week I was there. The day I was going to leave, I noticed that my rear hatch glass wasn’t sitting right. It was still latched, but it looked crooked. When I went to open the glass by itself, I heard a crunch. It’s seems the sun had heated up the adhesive holding the right side hatch glass hinge to the point where it came apart. But since the latch on the glass was still holding, it shifted the whole thing sideways. It looks like black roofing tar was used. Why would GM use adhesive to mount the glass hinges to the truck body? Has anyone replaced just the adhesive? There’s really no way to bolt it down right? Any feedback would be appreciated…

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
I own an ex-CHP car (2005 EXT/4.2) from El Centro and I bet it gets hot there too ... I actually KNOW El Centro gets hot 'cause I worked a demo team there in June/July/August when the residents were snowbirdding it in Canada or Sweden or Alaska or Norway.

Aside from some early paint failure on the CHMSL area and that the door glass is sand scratched --- it has never had anything melt like that.

I'll bet there was some unauthorized glue used to repair that hatch hinge area and now you're paying the price.

·
Registered
146 Posts
While I'm not a GM fanboi like Ravalli, I'll go along with "not an OEM mount job" there. My 02 Envoy has seen plenty of high heat/direct sun. If something was going to melt, it would have by now.

Of course, there are also batch variations no matter what, so ... who knows? As for fixing it, I'd likely be on a board where you have professional body shop / auto glass people although I'm sure some on this board have adequate experience in that regard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts