Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own a 2002 Bravada, Envoy, or TrailBlazer with the following characteristics, I hope you can help me…

1. 4WD or AWD
2. Many options (i.e. heavier than average)
3. Short wheel base (not an “XL”, no third row)
4. 4.2L I-6 engine
5. WITHOUT air suspension

I have a 2002 Bravada with air suspension. The bags have given-up. I don’t want to spend the money one new ones (very pricey). I can get replacement coil springs from gmpartsdirect.com very cheap (under $50 a piece shipped). However, they can’t tell me which of the many part numbers is correct, since my vehicle was built with air suspension. See the list of part numbers below. Further, nobody has translated Zibby’s excellent spring chart into actual GM part numbers.

I am hoping that a fellow 2002 owner without air suspension can do the following:

1. Provide a side picture of their vehicle so I can see the ride height. Any comments on ride quality would be helpful, too. Alternatively, you can tell me the color and code on the tag on your rear springs.
2. Provide your VIN number so I can use it to order the correct springs. If you don’t feel comfortable giving me your VIN, then I would be fine with someone calling a dealer on their own and telling me which part number they told you to order for your vehicle.

I’m not looking to do a lift or anything like that. I just want stock ride height with stock handling characteristics.

My concern is that if I pick a part number randomly, I might get a spring for a 2WD lightweight TB that will allow the rear to sit lower than the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you happen to live in SE Michigan, that would be an added bonus.

Thanks a bunch… :thx

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
There's a project going on right now in the Offroad forum to fill in all the blanks and come up with a list for both front and back.

You might also want to subscribe to this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58599

For instance, I have a 2004 Envoy that fits your requirements. My rears are:

LEFT - YEX code, purple/blue paint slash, part 15097377
RIGHT - YEW code, orange/blue slash, part 15097376

If I hadn't overcompressed and damaged these offroading, I think they'd be perfect for you. Don't neglect the chance that junkyards might have just what you're looking for as well as members who have put on lowering springs and are selling their takeoffs in the classifieds. Some of those sources may be cheap enough you can afford the risk that you get ones you won't like.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
Huh? Expensive?

I bought 2 brand new OEM air springs off ebay 2 years ago for $14. They were "take offs" from an Envoy damaged in transit to the dealer. There were no other bidders.

I'd try to find a pair of them used or through car-part.com

Good Luck!

Here, I just googled it and found this for you. Its a air compressor > coil spring conversion kit for the Envoy.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid120.html

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
The Arnott spring kit has been noted and discussed before. $240 for a pair of springs where you can get OEM replacements from parts4chevys.com for under $100 each isn't a great deal. And it's one-size-fits-all, which the OP was trying to avoid. But good to refer to it here anyway, since I didn't know Arnott was coming up with replacement bags. Might keep some people going longer before they give up and revert to coils.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I could find a new set of air bags that cheap, then maybe I would go for it. However, my searches on Ebay and others have not turned up any cheap alternatives yet.

I can get a pair of springs and isolators from gmpartsdirect.com for less than $100 shipped to my door. Because I will tow my boat, I will probably add either Gabriel Hi-Jacker shocks (air adjustable shocks) or Airlift 1000 bags for towing. Either way, I think I'll have a more reliable set-up than the auto-leveling system. Even if I replace the air bags, it's just a matter of time before the compressor goes south. Since both air bags seem to be deflating, I'm not even 100% sure the valves in the compressor aren't bad already.

I did look at the Arnott and other kits. Like Rodie said, over $200 for a pair of "one-size fits all" springs is more than I want to spend for this vehicle right now.

Hope this helps explain better...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
Very well. I will keep my eyes open for air bags for ya. Im not parting with mine - the original bags on my 02 Envoy are just about crapped out (dry rot) so Im waiting for a day that I have nothing to do so I can swap them out...

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
480 Posts
15207740 is a good middle of the road swb rear spring. Code YNS. It is the same as 15097376 code YEW. If you can wait just a short amount of time I think there will be a more complete list comming soon Don't be afraid to buy 2 used springs from another member that has 2 different part numbers like the roadie. If the numbers are only one digit off the springs are only SLIGHTLY different. Just enough to level out a truck side to side. Hope this helps. Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.