Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator has developed a small leak. Since I'm getting ready to flush the coolant system, I want to just replace it.

My questions are...

A. Does the condenser have to come out with the raditor, meaning I must evacuate and refill the AC system?
B. How many bolts hold the condenser to the radiator, and where are they located?
C. Can the condenser bolts be removed so that the radiator can be removed by itself?

The GM manual implies that the condenser must come out with the radiator. But, the step that says to remove the lines from the condenser never appears in the procedure. That seems weird to me.

Here is the procedure from my GM manual...

REMOVAL
1. Drain the coolant from the radiator. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System.

2. Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.

3. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

4. Remove the lower radiator support shield, if equipped. Refer to Radiator Support Shield Replacement in Frame and Underbody.

5. Remove the transmission cooler lines from the radiator.

6. Reposition the outlet radiator hose clamp using J 38185.

7. Remove the outlet radiator hose (1).

8. Lower the vehicle.

9. Remove the cooling fan and shroud. Refer to Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement.

10. Remove the radiator support diagonal brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Radiator Support Diagonal in Body Front End.

11. Remove the coolant recovery line from the radiator.

12. Disconnect the radiator side panels from the shroud (1).

13. Remove the radiator.

14. Remove the bolts retaining the condenser to the radiator.

INSTALLATION
1. Install the condenser to the radiator.

2. Install the bolts retaining the condenser to the radiator.

3. Install the radiator.

4. Install the cooling fan and shroud. Refer to Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement.

5. Raise the vehicle.

6. Install the outlet radiator hose (1).

7. Reposition the outlet radiator hose clamp (1) using J 38185.

8. Connect the transmission cooler lines to the radiator.

9. Install the lower radiator support shield, if equipped. Refer to Radiator Support Shield Replacement in Frame and Underbody.

10. Lower the vehicle.

11. Install the coolant recovery hose to the radiator.

12. Install the radiator support diagonal brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Radiator Support Diagonal in Body Front End.

13. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System.

14. Inspect the transmission fluid level.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has ever replaced a radiator in a trailvoy before?

It looks like there are to bolts near the top corners of the radiator and two slide-in clips at the bottom that attach the condenser to the radiator. I think I can seperate the radiator from the condenser in the vehicle by unscrewing the bolts and sliding the clips out. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Did you figure it out?

mgmshar- Sorry to see no one responded. I am about to replace the radiator in my 06 trailblazer and have your same question. Did you figure it out?

Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
He hasn't been back in a while:
Last Activity: 10-24-2009 07:41 AM

David, I hope to hear somebody did it easily. You have a very good question and I'm amazed nobody's posted about it before that I remember either.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, it has been a while since I've been on here...

Basically, you do NOT have to remove the condenser to get the radiator out. Somebody on here had a nice write-up on how they took their radiator out. If you do a search, you should be able to find it.

Basically, I did the following:

1. Instead of removing the fan clutch, I just loosened the fan blades from the clutch. This gave enough clearance to get the shroud out of the way.

2. I removed my front grill and fascia. This was required because I removed the upper crossmember (the part the is located underneath the plastic upper radiator cover).

3. I removed the items mentioned in the procedure below (fan shroud, diagnoal brace, all of the hoses, tranny cooler lines, etc.)

4. The most difficult part of this whole thing was unclipping the little rubber "radiator side shields" from the radiator. Re-clipping them to the new radiator was even worse. There is no room in there to reach them, so you just have to work at it with your hands.

5. Once everything was disconnected, I removed the two bolts (I think it was just two) at the upper corners of the condenser to separate the radiator from the condenser. If you then slide the condenser up a little bit, the clips on the bottom will disengage. Take a look at the new radiator to see what I mean. The condenser can then stay hooked-up and in the vehicle, and the radiator can be slid up and out.

Hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts