Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new to the forums, I just bought a 2002 LTZ, basically got on the highway and noticed I had no OD so I drove the 2 miles to the next exit and got off, downshifted fine everything felt fine. When I went from light it was very hesitant to get out of first, when it did get out of first it drove fine so I pulled over to let things cool down, reverse and neutral worked. Then drove it 1 mile slow in first to park it safely. The fluid is full and does not seem to be burnt, today I tried starting car and putting in reverse cold and I feel it kick in but car won’t move, does this sound like a shift solenoid? Was planning on changing filter and fluid regardless but have only had the car 2 days. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Lessee....

No OD....
Holds 1st to 2nd upshift too long.........
ATF is full and seems OK.....
Temperature-related shift problems.......
Cold start, no reverse........
.... is that about it?

You can and should do a pan drop - but first run a pressure test.

Tap into the 1/8"NPT access port on the left forward side of the transmission with a 200-250# capacity gauge on an 36-48" long pressure rated hose.
... the longer the hose, the better so you can see the pressure changes as you drive the vehicle.
..... six feet is a good length.

NOTE: That tap-point is very close to where the bellhousing just starts to bulge and somewhat above the pan level.
If you use your imagination ... it is approx right next to where your right heel would be when it's on the throttle.

During the driving tests, write down the pressures you see with each shift and also at a KOER stop in DRIVE, 2nd and LOW.
Test REVERSE pressure and also NEUTRAL and PARK.

So far.... I can ASSUME that your FORWARD CLUTCH is OK, as is also (very likely) your DIRECT CLUTCH (3RD gear).
NOTE: the FORWARD CLUTCH is applied in ALL FORWARD GEARS.

Your LOW/REVERSE CLUTCH is also suspect at this point..... but that might just be an annular ring on the stator support/shaft and not the clutch itself.

Your 2-4 BAND may have a busted accumulator spring that was ignored too long and it ate out the case.
..... some of your symptoms indicate this happenstance.
If that's true, it likely has then metaled-out the Teflon seals and made a mess of the valve body and heat exchanger, front pump, etc., etc.
..... that's just a wild guess though.
..........however----> it happens.

I have also seen this problem when a rebuilder uses the cheap-shot scarf-cut Teflon seals in the unit.
They work --- for a while.....
.... and then they start doing some oddball things as you are experiencing now.

Try this field test:

Manually shift the unit through all the forward gears by using the shift lever.
..... you can UPSHIFT and DOWNSHIFT with that too as a better test.

REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FINDINGS.

Thanks and I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t had time to do what you mentioned, I did try to drive it and I am realizing it is totally avoiding 2nd gear and going straight to third but I have to really make it shift up to it, Downshifts back to first no problem, dropped it off at a transmission shop right up the road. I am thinking now that it could have split the gears off the sunshell? They are going to look into it and I will let you guys know

·
Registered
311 Posts
[ QUOTE="Npipito, post: 1607713, member: 377624"]
I haven’t had time to do what you mentioned, I did try to drive it and I am realizing it is totally avoiding 2nd gear and going straight to third but I have to really make it shift up to it, Downshifts back to first no problem, dropped it off at a transmission shop right up the road. I am thinking now that it could have split the gears off the sunshell? They are going to look into it and I will let you guys know
[/QUOTE]

Not likely if your Reverse is working. Not saying there isn't any damage to the Intermediate planets though. My best bet is you've damaged the 2-4 band, its servo or the accumulator.

"Flaring" on a 2nd gear shift almost always means pull the unit.

Did you ever try manually upshifting the unit? If you got 2nd gear that way, the 2-4 band is-was where the problem existed. That would test your 2nd brake drum and Intermediate planet set.

Oh well.... it's now in the hands of a transmission shop. Internet diagnostics are hard to do without my hands on the vehicle. Hope this works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts