Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the family and I were headed to dinner at a friends house. There was a slow swerving possibly drunk truck in front of us. I gave our Envoy some gas to quickly pass this truck. About 2 or 3 miles down the road after having passed the truck, doing about 55-60 mph our envoy stalled. The Engine completely turned off, I put the car into neutral and attempted to turn the car back on. The car sounded like it was going to turn on but never completely turned over. I pulled it over to the side of the road and completely turned it off, waited for a good 10 minutes and attempted to turn the car on again with the same results.

The Battery seemed fully charged when we 1st pulled over, it is now mostly dead, I had the headlights and emergency flashers on for the time it took to get the car towed back to my house about 40 minutes give or take.

I've recently had the oil changed.

The car had a full tank of gas.

I unfortunately know very little about cars and would very much appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to trouble shoot this problem. I currently don't have the money to have it looked at by a mechanic and it is our only car.

Thanks in advance.

- Stalled In Life

P.S. do any of you know of a place where I can download for free a service or repair manual for my make and model

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
48 Posts
My suggestion would be 1st replace your battery, do you think it maybe the original? I had the same experience on another Chevy model, and it was the battery. You could try recharging your old battery, but it most likely has a few dead cells.

·
Registered
2002 gmc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed out the battery about 3 years ago.

Would a bad battery cause the vehicle to suddenly stall while driving, even though the lights are on and bright as can be?

-- I'll look into it, but I have a sinking suspicion there is more going on here

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Would a bad battery cause the vehicle to suddenly stall while driving, even though the lights are on and bright as can be?
Very, very unlikely. It could be a bad ignition switch - they have a reputation for failing. When it stalled, did you remember to take a look at the dash voltmeter? Do you have any friends with voltmeters?

WIth no experience troubleshooting cars, now's the worst possible time to be under pressure to fix it quickly. Too much to learn too fast, unless you're a really quick study. I'd start by asking your friends. Certainly ONE of them has some experience.

No free manuals, for the most part. Some libraries have remote access to manual data, but they don't teach troubleshooting techniques.

You can buy a year's access to AlldataDIY.com for around the same price as a Haynes manual you can buy at the parts stores.

When you said it never completely turned over, was it trying to crank and didn't rotate the engine, or did it crank at the normal speed but not catch and fire up?

You'll need a battery charger at the very least, since 40 minutes of headlight use is about it for stored energy.

·
Registered
2002 gmc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it stalled, did you remember to take a look at the dash voltmeter? Do you have any friends with voltmeters?
I did not remember to look at the dash voltmeter. I do have a friend that has a voltmeter.

WIth no experience troubleshooting cars, now's the worst possible time to be under pressure to fix it quickly. Too much to learn too fast, unless you're a really quick study. I'd start by asking your friends. Certainly ONE of them has some experience.
I work in a highly technical field and have some engineering background, unfortunately its computer and software engineering. I am a quick study, but also unfortunately most if not all of my friends are in the same boat as I am.

When you said it never completely turned over, was it trying to crank and didn't rotate the engine, or did it crank at the normal speed but not catch and fire up?
I believe "it did crank at the normal speed but did not catch and fire up?"

Thank you for your prompt response and willingness to point me in the correct directions.

One of my friends mentioned that it might be a bad fuel filter or fuel injector is that plausible / probable / possible?

My understanding is you need 3 things for a car to start:

Spark(fire)
Fuel
and Air

is there anything I'm missing

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out I only ended up driving it about a mile after I hit the gas to pass the slow truck before it stalled.

I am also still interested in any suggestions or comments on what it might be or what I can do to test it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
My money is on the fuel pump. Do you hear the pump priming when the key is turned to the on position? It's a brief sound almost like a small whine when the key is turned to the on position. Sound cones from under neath the car. If not, swap the fuel pump relay with another and see if you get anything. If not, it's a bad pump

·
Registered
2002 gmc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed?!?!

Apparently the problem has been fixed. We charged the battery so we could run some other test. Then we checked pretty much every fuse under the hood, just to make sure nothing had blown. Everything was fine. We were getting ready to test the fuel pump relay when we decided to just try and start the vehicle. The car started right up and has been running ever since.

My friend that was helping me thinks that when we pulled the fuse for the main computer it reset the computer and allowed the car to start.

Not sure what I believe and I half expect it to stall on me again, but until it does, I seem to be okay.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
234 Posts
Fuel, Air and fire

You need 3 things to get a ride started.
Fuel - Ensure you pump is supplying fuel to the engine.
Air - The easiest one to ensure your ride is getting.
Ignition - Is all about the power getting to your engine. Spark, power, ect
------------------
With these two you can spray some starter fluid in the Throttle body to see if the engine responses to the air and gas mixture.

You can rule out Fuel and Air with just the Starter fluid in the Ignition.

If it turns on you have a gas or air issue. (either no gas or not the right air)

If it does not response to the gas and air from the starter fluid, then you have a issue with the ignition part of it. Spark is needed, timing is needed, ect.. the ignition is the hardest part to figure out, there a lot of components.

Your battery doesn't keep your ride on, it simply supplies power, your vehicle died out when you were using the alternator. But my money like others is on the gas issue. Fuel pump, gas filter if you have one, dirty gas lines.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
349 Posts
FWIW, my 2002 Envoy used to stall, without warning, once every 6-10 months of driving for the first few years I owned it. I'd pull over to the side of the road, wait a few minutes, and it would start right up and work fine for the next 6-10 months until it happened again. Drove me crazy trying to diagnose it - no codes were ever set.
The problem didn't go away until I replaced the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for reasons unrelated to the stalling issue. Hasn't stalled since, and that was over five years ago.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,030 Posts
You need 3 things to get a ride started.
Fuel - Ensure you pump is supplying fuel to the engine.
Air - The easiest one to ensure your ride is getting.
Ignition - Is all about the power getting to your engine. Spark, power, ect
------------------
With these two you can spray some starter fluid in the Throttle body to see if the engine responses to the air and gas mixture.

You can rule out Fuel and Air with just the Starter fluid in the Ignition.

If it turns on you have a gas or air issue. (either no gas or not the right air)

If it does not response to the gas and air from the starter fluid, then you have a issue with the ignition part of it. Spark is needed, timing is needed, ect.. the ignition is the hardest part to figure out, there a lot of components.

Your battery doesn't keep your ride on, it simply supplies power, your vehicle died out when you were using the alternator. But my money like others is on the gas issue. Fuel pump, gas filter if you have one, dirty gas lines.
air, fuel, and ignition is all you need, but getting all three to come together at the right time is rather complicated on fuel injected, computer controlled engines. it's not a simple matter of setting your ignition points up any more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts